Moose Stang Mishap

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
If the shield is the skid plate then what I did was put some belting on the plate for the tank to rest on, no metal to metal contact. This was in conjunction with lowering the tank to clear the new breather assembly. Worked out great.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel,
I haven't seen the shield to which you are referring, but I bet it has a more significant purpose. Remember the Pinto? My guess is that that shield is there to prevent metal-to-metal contact( and the resultant fire ) with the rear bumper, or something in the event of a rear end crash.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
The skid plates on mine take the place of any bottom straps. Two bolts for each, one front, one rear. The spare tire then is sucked up tight to the plates. I have top straps that hold the tank tight to the plates so it won't bounce around. I put a strips of belting on top of the tank where the straps make contact to prevent any metal to metal contact as well. Mine's a 4X4 so maybe that's partly why I have the plates.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sle2115 said:
Of all the luck! I guess you'll have gotten to "touch" everything at the conclusion of this project though! :)

Yep.... you'll have everything done.

Very nice final result, regardless of how you got there (fuel debacle)...

Mike

gunnie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
straps are by far the best way to go mel, i had the same problem only a rock had gotten between the plate and my tank and wore a hole thru