Moose pumps

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before trying to replace the down pipe make sure someone hasn't already done it for you. Your posting is telling us the truck is straight piped so it may have a modified down pipe already. I don't know what a waffle is. Please explain that. The triple disc converter is a big plus when towing. Seems the single disc converters have 25 square inches of friction material and the triple have 150 square inches of material... You will never ruin one of those converters.:sly

W1cked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waffles i guess is just short term slang for waffle clutches i was told they are pretty good for towing or pulling.

motoshop

Reaction score
I just built my exhaust last month and used a Diamond Eye 3"dp to 4" straight pipe exhaust system for the 94-97 PSD. I cut the flange off the turbo outlet and used a 3" v-band flange kit from eBay to fab up the dp. Came out really nice and definitely runs a lot better. The exhaust system also came off eBay and the complete project was less than $400. If you already have the straight pipe, you can get the Diamond Eye dp for less than $100 shipped on eBay.

W1cked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet I will definitely check it out and thanks guys for all the helpful advice.

Omnious

Reaction score
Banks DP

I just bought the Banks DP 2 weeks ago. It is 2.75" ID with EGT port. Ask for Eric at banks and he will take care of you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just bought the Banks DP 2 weeks ago. It is 2.75" ID with EGT port. Ask for Eric at banks and he will take care of you.

What kind of turbo is this down pipe with a pyro port in it. This is the wrong place for a pyro location. There is no need to see the exhaust temp "after" it has spent itself going thru the hot side of the turbo. You need the exhaust temp "BEFORE" it enters the turbo. The only time you need to know whats left in when its the fuel in the tank. That tells you have much farhter you can drive...:sly

Omnious

Reaction score
Well since I am not removing my manifolds, up pipes, or Turbo, this is my only location. Temperature is relative, I know the max temp I shouldnt exceed at the manifolds so all I need to do now is to determine the heat dissipation from the manifolds to my EGT port. Then all is fine.

oldblue05

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Reaction score
I have a 3" down pipe layin on the floor of my living room, if your gonna buy one buy this one, please.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since I am not removing my manifolds, up pipes, or Turbo, this is my only location. Temperature is relative, I know the max temp I shouldnt exceed at the manifolds so all I need to do now is to determine the heat dissipation from the manifolds to my EGT port. Then all is fine.

Ideally Icanfixall is right, the egt temp needs to be taken on the hot side of the turbo. The rule of thumb is that you can subtract 300*F or so from the max safe hotside temp. For example, a lot of people say 1250*F is max for the hotside EGT readings (in or close to the manifolds) while this temp. makes me queasy, if you think this is safe you should back off to 950*F or a bit less for comparable cold side egt.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive been in a stroke that with the probe after turbo, temp would barely scratch 800. with same probe moved pre turbo, temp was easily 1350. The temp difference has to do with turbine efficiency. not worth guessing in my opinion.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I can just hear the words spoken now. Well I figured the down pipe temp was cool enough so the up side should have been cool too. Sure was funny to see molten aluminum shooting out the tail pipe....:eek::angel:

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
drill and tap the manifold. leave the motor running when u do this. will force all the metal shavings back out the hole and not into the turbo.

now back to the OP, how many miles are on your fuel system?

W1cked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel system is all orginial with 216,000 on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin