Moose Pump Update

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, as promised I ran the truck today after I set the TPS to 1.1 volts.... I hope that was correct too.... The motor sounds deeper now with plenty of low end torque. Much better than before. Pyro temps cruising on the freeway at 75 and 1950 rpm was 450... Not bad at all. I can make smoke almost anytime so maybe that will change when I have it timed on Thursday morning. The motor sounds really quite too. Probably timing retarded. I will make this statement about the pump. When you can do it just do it. It really does work as advertised and more. The cost was not much more than any of the other pumps being sold on Ebay and other places. Now this may be because my pump didn't need much to make it the Moose pump so you may need more which will cost more... But again, its well worth every penny. Thanks Mel.... I may be buying another Moose pump for the last area free behind the rear seat.....:D

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Now thats like asking a woman if you can look up her dress... Horsepower.. I don't know but.... Todays April Fools so its around 500 hp.....:moon: :D ... Honestly though, I have never had the motor dynoed yet. I have about 6000 miles on it so far. It probably has about 210 hp at the rear tires. After "things" settle in with this motor I will have it dynoed and report the results good or bad. I have done plenty of extra work trying to get more air into and out of this motor for a better mileage and performance. I eventually will be doing some turbo work. Maybe having a differant bearing set installed. I have been looking at ceramic and ball bearing setups. I just have not decided on which to use yet. Someday I want to build a turbo block motor. What I'm looking for is a block with the serial numbers starting at 1,116,331 and up from there. Those are the factory turbo blocks with the heavier main webs. I have never seen a turbo block apart so I'm still wondering if the main webs really are 100 thousands wider and where is this extra material because all 6.9, 7.3 & 7.3 turbo motors all use the same exact rod and main bearings.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: No Way.......Say it isn't so Gary.......

Something finally worked right the first time fer ya without having to go back to the machine shop 10 times to fix their screw up:hail :hail :hail .

Way to go Mel.;Sweet

Congrats Gary.;Sweet It's about time something went right for you.:angel:

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
this is what im going to do next thing to do to mine after i install my stage 1 injectors but the only bad thing for me is this truck is my daily driver and the truck has a reman pump on is so i guess ill find a good used pump on ebay and have an extra pump anyway how do u time that pump thanks hope u like that pump and smoke something out

tractorman86

Reaction score
how much does it cost? sounds like he rebuilds your current pump, dont think i could afford the down time. is there anyone who makes an injector to match it? i've heard mixed reviews about dps stage 1's.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew! I was really sweating it there. Given Gary's "dark cloud" that follows him around, I was afraid the Moose Pump would take a hit. :hail

acousticrawk

Reaction score
im interested in injectors too. i see stuff for cummins and PSD that have injectors that add HP. who makes injectors for IDI's?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right now Ken at DPS is the only one who offers a "performance" injector. He claims a 10HP increase.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm workin on a set of "modified" injectors. It will be a while till I get anywhere with them though... Hopefully by summer I have the 93 done to test them out. I'm not planning on selling these, but I will share the info I find.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reklund was very upset with Ken because he got these injectors as well as Ken's turbo cal pump, and the injectors were never quite right. He has the luminosity timing tools and noticed that he couldn't get any reading from #1. He pulled the Stage 1s and had them pressure checked and checked for spray pattern. A couple of them were stuck shut, the rest had a horrible spray pattern. Mel found the same thing. In fairness to Ken, it probably will not kill an IDI to have a poor spray pattern and it may even increase HP some if you can flow more fuel, however it will do so at the cost of fuel economy and emissions. Reklund never was able to get in touch with Ken so I think that is what he was most upset about. I myself have no complaints about Ken's work or his products, but I have experienced the customer no service, and I have yet to try either his or Mel's pumps or the DPS stage 1s.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Whew! I was really sweating it there. Given Gary's "dark cloud" that follows him around, I was afraid the Moose Pump would take a hit.

Mel wait till you meet Gary in person then & only then will you know how good the pump is.:backoff :backoff good pump till he gets within 2 feet of U.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online

No members online now.