Mirror Adhesive- Two Epic Fails

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two month ago, the inside mirror fell off. The button came off the glass. Not the original one, as the windshield was replaced in 2002.

Try1- Went out and bought one of the easily obtained Permatex mirror adhesive kits. Reglued the button per instros. Went back a day later to install the mirror and the button pulled off as I adjust the mirror. Drat!

Try2- Exact same scenario, though perhaps I was a bit more careful. I used a Permatex kit again, as that was all I could readily find, but the kit looked a little different than the first one. Maybe newer. This one stayed on for the mirror adjustment but fell off as I drove down the half-mile gravel lane from the house to the road. Double-drat!

Anyone have advice as to a glue kit that is better than the Permatex, and/or hints to help make Try3 a success?

First, bear in mind I am the poster child for following instructions. I did it exactly according to instruction. I did add an element the second time, by sanding the back of the button to make a rough surface. Also, both times it appeared the adhesive released from the glass not the metal. The glass was clean and the adhesive was on the metal.

Back when I wrenched for a living, I had connections at the dealership body shop and they had some industrial strength stuff that was 100%. The over-the-counter kits back then were pathetic and I am beginning to think this may be the case today, so if any of you guys have alliterative recommendations for mirror kits, I would be grateful.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into that problem and found the more expensive stuff worked better. Permatex has the $4 stuff and they also sell the $8 stuff. 3M sells a glue for this and it's $8 also.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fwiw
My glass guy( ive never bought a truck with a good windshield) whatever he uses holds.
Might be worth it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this is a big issue with the good ole EPA of today.
i have even tried 2 ton epoxy, which didnt work either.

ive used the permatex kit also with out success.
i had my windshield replaced in January, and 3 weeks ago it fell off.
i did have baby shoes hanging from them tho.

i think the problem with the kits now a days is that the solvent used to clean the glass isnt harsh enough.
the swabs they give you are crap.

i am going to try some acetone, if that dont work, im going to try to hit the glass with some 36 grit to rough it up.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Friend at work had his mirror glass fall out. He took some epoxy glue and put a shop towel on the mirror then used a C clamp to hold it for about 30 Mins been working great for about a week now.
Monday I'll ask what the brand is.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Super glue?
I just tried putting mine back on last week. Held to the glass fine, but the button popped off. But the button on mine looks oily or something.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience thorough cleaning of glass wi razor acetone and 000 steal wool in preparation and same with the metal plate...again....surgically clean

Press on and tape in place let stand 48-72 hours and should be golden

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin