Might Be Getting Another Oilburner

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Me and the wife are going to be buying some land soon and we will likely have to upgrade the truck. I like my half ton but it's not going to cut the mustard when it comes to hauling livestock and equipment for the farm. Plus the truck will be registered as a farm truck and it's easier to write off the on and off road #2 on taxes. Plus I'm going to upgrade her car to a Jetta TDI.

If I upgrade I have a few options, but I'm leanign heavily towards a good used Cummins. I know fo the common problems of the old 24v trucks since I had one, such as the lift pump/injection pump issue, the front 4x4 ball joints and tie rod ends, etc, but I know little or nothing about the 3rd Gen motors. I'm going to try to convince her to let me get an '03 or '04 2500 4x4 and as a compromise I'm probably going to get a slushbox instead of a bolt action.

So, can any of ya'll give me a run down on the best year(s) for these trucks as well as any usual problem areas. What about mods such as gages and such? It is just as easy to install boost/pyro/trannie temp gages in these trucks? Would I need to install a fuel pressure gage to keep track of that lik eI did i nmy old Y2K?

Any info would be appreciated.

BTW, I hope everyone has been doing well. I've been absent fro a while dealing wiht a ****** work situation that's now resolved and I got married a few weeks ago too. cookoo

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, I hope everyone has been doing well. I've been absent fro a while dealing wiht a ****** work situation that's now resolved and I got married a few weeks ago too. cookoo

Wondered where youve been, congrats on the marriage and glad the job turned around. Drop in a little more often.

rubberfish

Reaction score
First. Please allow me to offer my condolences.
I'm sorry to hear of this tragedy that occurred
a few weeks back. Hope you make it through
it unscathed. :rotflmao And for trucks? Go for an '04.
They have less quirks than the '03. And, all the
fuel issues are taken care of as well. Get a stick. ;Sweet
The little Mrs. can get an auto VW if she'd like. ;)

Don't be scared to pop in here once in a while eh? :cheers:

MMeier

Reaction score
When I first read the title I thought they were having a baby:eek:

I'm sure thats not too far away!! :D Congrats Bri' and Sarah...(it's still Sarah, right?) got the same number still,I'll call you one of these days!

Greenhornet1986

Reaction score
In my readings on another forum, the 03s and 04s(not 04.5) get the best mileage. The highest I have gotten, hand caculated, on my 03 SO 4wd with the 47re, is 23mpg. I regularly see 21 on the highway going home. This is with a totally stock truck, well, used to be, now I have a few minor upgrades. I have straight piped the truck, swiss cheesed the air box, and put in a Rokktech timing sensor to bump timing 2 degrees. On my next road trip, I will see if these helped any. Right now they are not, since I love hearing the sound of the straight pipe around town.

I think the year truck you are looking for would be good. I have the "lowly" Standard Output(SO) engine, and it is sluggish, I must admit. The HOs(high outputs) had the 48re behind them(most of them anyhow) and the slushbox.

The lift pump is on the engine in these trucks, and has been known to go out. The dealer then replaces them with an in-tank unit. The best bet would be to go with a walboro pump, found at glacier diesel. I am going to get one of these as soon as I get the money(around $400).

Gauges never hurt any truck, and yes, they are easy to install. I dont have anything on this truck, but once I get the glacier pump I will more than likely get a fuel pressure gauge. Stock trucks SHOULDNT have any problems, but you will be able to catch any problems before they become even bigger problems.

All front end stuff on these trucks normally has problems. Ball joints, the hubs, etc are all problem areas. None of these has been replaced on my truck, got 2 new tires put on the front a couple of months ago, and the tech said everything looked good. On other forums there are a few posts of people replacing these parts.

Let us know what you get, BTW congrats on the marriage.

EDIT: forgot to add, some of the newer trucks get good mileage also. I know a guy with a 04.5 that regularly sees 23mpg at 65mph, hand calculated.

ranchoazul

Reaction score
I would get the '03 since it has the least "emmisions" garbage on board and allows for mods. The '03s biggest problem is already being maxed out on fuel....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online