Metric Hell

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drilled all my front end bolts out to standard size ( half inch for most) i dont care for metric either. If figuring out that 1/2 is bigger than 7/16 is too tough, you might want to forget about being a mechanic. Nothing against metric, my bike is all matric, but my truck is becoming all standard.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
actually if you want to be honest most langauges are simpler than english. Im with you that standard is not that hard to comprehend I have done a lot of carpenter work and pipefitting and it isnt that hard. but 12 in to a ft, 3 ft to a yd, these really seem like random numbers, not as simple as moving a decimal place, and for anyone that has to deal with foreign drawings such as mechanical drawings for machines from work we have to convert everything from metric to standard. its just the fact that it would just be easier if we did go to metric

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the spring bolts are metric but a 9/16 slips right in, I always get long enough bolts so no thread is supporting load, shank comes all the way thru the spring hangars, heavy flat washer then an esna/crimp locknut, cut off excess if it bothers you..Same with spring hangars. Also when I did mine the U bolts had been run loose so the front and rear are one size bigger. 5/8 or/9/16. drilled the plates, well actually milled them and they have never loosened and they do sometimes when using these trucks proper;ly

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
9/16s and 14 mm are extremely close 9/16 works out 14.2 somethin mm. .2 mm would be about 8 thousandths of an inch worth of difference that is about the thickness off three pieces of notebook paper

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
And for those who think that metric is simpilier than standard, explain to me tire sizes. LT235-85-R16 vs 33-12.5-16.5. *** is an aspect ratio?

Metric Tire:
235= width of the tire in mm.
85= aspect ratio= the height of the tire side wall. it is a percentage of the section width (235). so the height of the side wall is 85% of the width of the tire.
R= tire construction. this case is radial.
16= rim diameter in inches.

High Flotation:
33= Diameter of tire in inches.
12.5= tire width in inches. this is the same measurement as the 235 in the first example.
16.5= wheel diameter.

reading a tire:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.do;jsessionid=P248wpZ-fYggQ1G6oE29PA__.dtc106

gatorman21218

Reaction score
Metric Tire:
235= width of the tire in mm.
85= aspect ratio= the height of the tire side wall. it is a percentage of the section width (235). so the height of the side wall is 85% of the width of the tire.
R= tire construction. this case is radial.
16= rim diameter in inches.

High Flotation:
33= Diameter of tire in inches.
12.5= tire width in inches. this is the same measurement as the 235 in the first example.
16.5= wheel diameter.

reading a tire:
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoSidewall.do;jsessionid=P248wpZ-fYggQ1G6oE29PA__.dtc106
i was being sarcastic but thanks for your troubles;Sweet. I was trying to convey the ignorance of metric tires.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
i was being sarcastic but thanks for your troubles;Sweet. I was trying to convey the ignorance of metric tires.

Well you forgot the good old way of measuring tires, 7.50R16. Or the ones I want, 9.00R16.

My only ***** about it is that they use metric and American and you have to add them together to get the damn size.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back a little further on the tire sizes, remember the G70-15 and other letter designation... talk about confusing. Sometimes change is good. I bought a metric ruler and tape measure for setting up suspension on motorcycles. The math is much easier when making calculations.
I've often wondered how european dimensional lumber is sized. Is a sheet of plywood 1219.2mm x 21438.4mm? Is a 2x4 called a 50.8x101.6? I called home depot (from a bar stool) one time and asked them... they didn't know. I asked for one of there european stores and they weren't able to transfer me.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back a little further on the tire sizes, remember the G70-15 and other letter designation... talk about confusing. Sometimes change is good. I bought a metric ruler and tape measure for setting up suspension on motorcycles. The math is much easier when making calculations.
I've often wondered how european dimensional lumber is sized. Is a sheet of plywood 1219.2mm x 21438.4mm? Is a 2x4 called a 50.8x101.6? I called home depot (from a bar stool) one time and asked them... they didn't know. I asked for one of there european stores and they weren't able to transfer me.

It depends on where the wood comes from. I worked in a cabinet shop in Scotland for a while and some plywood was 4x8, if it came from the US but alot of it was metric and slightly larger when it came from elsewhere in europe or asia. Dimensional lumber was almost all metric, measured in decimeters.
BTW cabinet making is much easier in metric. finding centers for cabinet doors is a snap. When I came back I brought a metric tape with me and now do all that in metric.

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be happy with Metric and SAE. I owned an old MG years ago and it was Whitworth (or something like that) talk about a mess.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you know that there is Russian, British, Japanese, Asian and other Metric systems?

In the countries of the Commonwealth of Nations the metric system has replaced the imperial system by varing degrees: Australia, New Zealand and Commonwealth countries in Africa are almost totally metric, India is mostly metric, Canada is partly metric while in the United Kingdom the metric system,

Proposals have been made to change the definitions of four of the base units at the 24th meeting of the CGPM in October 2011. These changes should not affect the average person.

You just have to be average, not a fu***ing genius.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online