Mechanical fuel pump install

Tony Stottler

Reaction score
I got the old fuel pump off, what a pain. I have the cam rotated so that the broad machined portion of the lobe is exposed to daylight and its lowest position from what I gather. Does the arm of the fuel pump go over or under at this point of the installation

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cam hump up, if not shown in the video

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Cam hump up, if not shown in the video

Hm not the video I meant to post I guess. I thought it showed it but it doesn't. I can't find the one I am remembering.

Stu Bailey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a picture that I took when I did mine. I shoved my phone down there in video mode to capture a view of the cam love to make sure it was in the high position.

You must be registered for see images attach

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be a pain to get that arm under the cam. There is tension on the pump arm and you have to hold it in place while you get the bolts started. RTV the gasket on the pump before you put it on so it stays in place so you can worry about other things.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tech tip for those times like this....
See the pump arm., Looking at the end profile it has a U shaped stamping, the top is smooth the bottom is less so.
Held in working position.

Thusly the smooth part contacts the came lobe... Or under

nelstomlinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a huge pain because of the access problems. I couldn't get the rear bolt started, had to put a stud into the back bolt hole.

gandalf

Reaction score
This is a huge pain because of the access problems. I couldn't get the rear bolt started, had to put a stud into the back bolt hole.

A stud is not a bad idea. I was finally able to get the rear bolt in, but it was a pain. I looked at the possibility of working from underneath, but there are too many things in the way, so I did it from above. With my short arms I practically had to dangle upside down to do the job. The front bolt is easy, but the rear bolt is pretty well blind, and the pump wants to sit in the hole angled to the front. You must hold the pump flat against the engine while fooling with the rear bolt.

Last edited:

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When timing mark on damper is at "0" or TDC the cam lobe will be either at the top or bottom. If at the bottom, rotate engine another 360*.

FordFlatbed93

Reaction score
I had to do one on my 93 and finally cut some of the fender well out. Which I still have the extra piece that goes in behind the shock. Just a thought, it makes that back bolt so much easier to get to and really it makes everything easier. I wish I’d of done it before I laid on my back for an hour trying to make sure I was under the cam lobe.

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
I had to do one on my 93 and finally cut some of the fender well out. Which I still have the extra piece that goes in behind the shock. Just a thought, it makes that back bolt so much easier to get to and really it makes everything easier. I wish I’d of done it before I laid on my back for an hour trying to make sure I was under the cam lobe.
Why didn't you just remove the fender and well?

Rock

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online