Mechanical fuel pump - 7.3 IDI

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. The re-design, cam lobe thing makes perfect sense.
I have the same one...installed it after the OE started to leak.
Been in there for years and years and yearssssss...works great!;Sweet (knock on wood)
Actually much longer than the OE pump...maybe I'll change it out since I just cursed myself. :rolleyes:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
if the lift pump is not suppling enough fuel the fuel filter light should have come on cause of the vacuum and if the IP was starving of fuel you would notice it cause it would buck and surge with air in the system. Your IP could simply be weak and running out of steam on the top end and still run and idle like a champ

yellaheep

Reaction score
All said and done, the fresh fuel, filter, and pump made a huge improvement in performance. Grey/white smoke is gone, healthy stream of black on acceleration and decent power was obtained.

When I was replacing the tach sensor, I looked at the IP and how it was mounted. I noticed an awl mark across the gap where it sits into the timing cover and it was a hair off. I loosened the IP and turned it to allign the awl marks and that seemed to get even better performance.

Thanks again guys! I learned alot with this project. I'm happy to report that I listed the truck in the local Craig's List on Friday afternoon...... and it was sold Saturday afternoon! The new owner was plenty happy with it!

I'll be popping in occasionally on the Dodge Cummins forums when I get serious about modding my '04 3500. This website and it's members have been great! :Thumbs Up