Mechanical fan vs. electric conversion....real numbers to compare

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmmm I'm going to have to dig up a 6.9 fan and try it on my truck. Should have one. As soon as I hit a hill with a trailer I watch my temp gauge soar. Usually I'm down to first gear, half throttle and the gauge will bump 240 trying to pull the mountain to get home. Multiple clutches, rads, and other things tried with no prevail.

A lot of people have made comments that their fan clutches don't even kick in till around 230 degrees. So a more aggressive fan may still not help if it doesn't even engage till 230. I locked mine mechanically and my overheating problems went away. I know I am losing a little performance and fuel mileage, but my priority is to not overheat pulling a load, and that's mostly what I use my truck for. I have a smaller truck for grocery getting and other small tasks.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Highly doubt it. We used 25 hp for 8' chiller fans, and that was for conservative industrial.
More like 5-10 hp. for trucks.
<als>

Couldn't be more wrong. You're comparing an electric motor with a fan that moves a lot less volume of air for the size in comparison.

Also, I'll dyno my pickup and semi with fans unlocked and locked. I know the numbers are high, but these need a TON of air in a short amount of time to cool em off. My semi will suck my winter Carhartt jacket to the grille from 1' away at idle, and will pull it thru the bars to the screen at 1200 rpm. You guys need to realize that the faster it's spinning, it's drawing exponentially more power due to the resistance of air. 25-30 hp is not out of the question IMO, and I've heard reports of some setups drawing 50+. Imagine the volume of air you need to draw to help cool a 6'x4' radiator in some heavy haul apps.

Last edited:

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of people have made comments that their fan clutches don't even kick in till around 230 degrees. So a more aggressive fan may still not help if it doesn't even engage till 230. I locked mine mechanically and my overheating problems went away. I know I am losing a little performance and fuel mileage, but my priority is to not overheat pulling a load, and that's mostly what I use my truck for. I have a smaller truck for grocery getting and other small tasks.

Did you bolt it together to lock it up? I've done that before with bolt on style fan clutches but I'm afraid to with the threaded on type, I don't want it to fall off when I shut down or something stupid like that

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you bolt it together to lock it up? I've done that before with bolt on style fan clutches but I'm afraid to with the threaded on type, I don't want it to fall off when I shut down or something stupid like that

I had heard of that happening also, so I used short pieces of angle iron and bolted them directly to the pulley bolts to avoid that problem. Here's a picture.

You must be registered for see images attach

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you mess around too much with locking fans try adding oil to the clutch - it's cheap and easy and should help it drag more.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First of all I would like to apologize for the high jack I this thread.

Secondly, here we go.
I have tried adding oil to one, actually I used military silicone based brake fluid. That was about 3 clutches ago. In going to have to find a 6.9 fan and look at it against a 7.3 fan. Then I'll probably lock one up. No point in having power and still have to let off the throttle because your temps are sky high. I'd sacrifice 5-10hp to not boil the engine.