Maybe time for steering box?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i personally like napa better and have had better luck with there parts so dont feel bad:D

i was just stating my experiance and some of a few friends.

as far as tightening up the play it can be done by loosening the jamb nut and screwing in the allen head some. a new box should not need this at all as it will be set correctly but just for ref. be very careful if you do try to "tighten" up a box, i have done it before with success but if the box is to worn it will cause more problems than good. the steering gears wear most in the center position because that is where they ride most of the time. soooo if you tighten up the slop in the center it will be to tight on the outer parts of the gear, like when you turn the wheel hard which is probably not worn at all. if it is extreme enough it can lock the box and actually crack it from the pressure. not good if you are driving:eek:

if you are dropping in a new box you shouldent have to worry about it at all i think 98% of them never get a second adjustment to begin with.

dont forget to get a pitman arm puller, those things can be a pain to get off on there own.:backoff

why cant you drop it out down below? thats what i have always done?? although i didnt have ac in any of the vehicles i did.....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
one more thing i thought if is you might want to flush your system out by letting the return line in something to catch the fluid and running it a little.

you dont want any junk or old metal particles eating your new box up.

plus you could filter it and run it in your truck then.:D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
dont forget to get a pitman arm puller, those things can be a pain to get off on there own.:backoff

why cant you drop it out down below? thats what i have always done?? although i didnt have ac in any of the vehicles i did.....

I'm so glad I have one of those in My tool box, removing that is a real bear.

I did drop it and the job is not bad at all. I also like the Napa parts when I don't have any motorcraft or Moog at hand, besides they get the part in 2hs instead of 2-3 days.

I can feel a little improvement on the steering play so that is a plus, but mostly I hope I don't get anymore of that nasty ps fluid build up in the rad, which is why I did all this.

Thank You all.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online