Matching injectors?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, what all tools and materials would I need in order to match a set of injectors? At first glance, I would think that to test them I would need some kind of pump, some fuel line, a few fittings, and an appropriately sized pressure gauge that will stand up to diesel fuel.

I've not even looked at an injector yet, so I have no idea how you would go about adjusting one.

I'm trying to get an idea of what it will take so that I can figure out whether I want to match them, or if I want to buy them from someone already matched.

Thanks,
Mark

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have a member that offers just that. Typ4 will sel you a matched set of BB code injectors.

gandalf

Reaction score
We have a member that offers just that. Typ4 will sel you a matched set of BB code injectors.

I just bought a set from him. They sure are pretty. They arrived yesterday, matched BB code and all tested. Along with my rebuilt IP, they should make my engine, and me, very happy. I had Typ4 do the IP also.;Sweet It looks equally good.

I have pictures of the IP in "My Photos", but haven't had time yet to get the new injectors in there.

Maybe I'll be able to get everything in this weekend, while my wife and daughter are watching LOST just about the entire weekend. I can't wait.

I'll report back on my progress.:rolleyes:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I paid $295 for the injectors and return line kit with viton o-rings, that also included shipping. Very satisfied with the purchase.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My feelings on cost is this... Its far cheaper buying from someone you know or trust that wont screw you. Several members have been royally screwed over my a shop in Tenn. Read about this in the Hall of Shame. Buying from a less than trustworthly supplier and then buying from someone that is known to stand behind what they sell is going to cost you twice.. Sometimes you can get something on the less expensive side but.... Sometimes your the bug... And sometimes your the windshield... I have been both plenty of times and have the stories too...:eek::D

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the exact amount, I was just trying to get a ball park idea. Like I said, I'm going to have to save my pennies for a while before I can buy anything. And yes, buying a good product once is always cheaper than buying junk and then buying a good product :)

gandalf

Reaction score
Gary is absolutely right. Price is not always the ultimate answer when you're buying something. I would much rather pay a bit more, and get a good product and excellent service from somebody I know I can trust. Peace of mind is "priceless". On top of that, buying from somebody here on the forum is good.

I bought my IP and injectors from Russ, Typ4, for all the above reasons. He sells a known-good product at a very competitive price. IF there are any problems I expect that he will stand behind his products without question. Service is exceptional. I ordered the injectors on Saturday, and had them in hand on Wednesday, just four days later. I would recommend him without reservation.

Now, if I can just get things installed and back together without screwing up too badly, I'll be set.

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set from him. They sure are pretty. They arrived yesterday, matched BB code and all tested. Along with my rebuilt IP, they should make my engine, and me, very happy. I had Typ4 do the IP also.;Sweet It looks equally good.

I have pictures of the IP in "My Photos", but haven't had time yet to get the new injectors in there.

Maybe I'll be able to get everything in this weekend, while my wife and daughter are watching LOST just about the entire weekend. I can't wait.

I'll report back on my progress.:rolleyes:

we have the SAME plans for the weekend...my IP arrived WED...I've already whispered sweet sayings into the intake port...I cant WAIT!!...(if the work week haddnt been a C U N T of a week I would have the energy to do it tonight...)

game on Garth!! (party on Wayne!):rotflmao

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Last year I bought a cheap reman set of injectors off ebay. (Mylex..) It's been just over 7 months, and atleast 4 have been replaced with one's I got from a local rebuilder..

I remember my first run with the cheapo's after the install.. They looked pretty in the packaging, but on the truck, putting any load on the engine yielded blue smoke and vibration. I put an old one back in #7 and it helped some. I'm guessing they just took some old injectors, reset them, and sold em as reman.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatly I recieved a set of new delphi's & IPfrom MWFI as a gift....with all of the headache I am going through dealing with getting the truck running right I seriously wish they had come from russ or mel...if not for any other reason then one less thing to troubleshoot.

In as much as sometimes you can feel more secure buying from a bigger company, when I called their tech support to ask about quality control and if one of my injectors could be bad the line"well the manufacturer makes them all to the same tolerances so they should all be fine" left me feeling a bit peeved. I would much rather have had the money go to a fellow IDI enthusiast who could tell me "yeah, I know they are good because I tested them...but if you think theres a problem I will test them again".

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with everything said. I bought a set of BB's from Pensacola Diesel. They are supposed to be a reputable shop and had a great price. Put them in the truck and I thought I was good to go. When I bought the IP I just put on I took them all out and figured I would have them tested to make sure they were good. The pop pressures were all over the place and one was bad. Further more something was up with the tips and SED told me that they will work fine for a while but not to be surprised if they start to spray a bad pattern after a while do to the tips being messed up. So after all this buying the set from Russ would have been cheaper by far. Lesson learned.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great info to have! I never realized there was so much junk out there, or that injectors from reputable manufacturers had so much variation. I wasn't terribly concerned about the price to begin with. I mean by the time a buy the injectors and and an IP, I'm over $500, throw in a lift pump, and then the difference between a matched set from one of you guys, and a new set off the shelf is pretty negligible. Sounds like they are certainly worth the extra $6 or $7.

gandalf

Reaction score
Let me straighten out any misunderstandings on one point. Some of you may have thought that I was implying that I paid more than the going rate buying injectors from Russ, Typ4. Quite honestly, I don't know. I didn't price injectors and IP anywhere else. What I was saying was that it would be WORTH the bit of extra cost to do so, for the reasons I stated previously. To be quite honest, I doubt that Russ is making any/much profit on these sales. I think it is more accurate to say that he is a very knowledgeable board member willing to help his fellow board members.