Marvel Mystery

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable, but my definition of "power gain" had always been, pulling x up a hill and not having to down shift to maintain a certain speed.
Not just a feeling or sound

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How I would answer that is varying conditions. Maybe one day the air is cooler and the engine develops a little more power. Or the atmospheric pressure was higher, or you had a good load of fuel that time. Or one time you were carrying a little extra weight and the next you weren't (both tanks full vs only one tank half full). The oil was warmer one time than another so there was less parasitical drag on the engine. All these things, and more, and combinations, all effect power output and unless you can equalize the conditions, you don't know if it was the product you added or other factors.

You can reach conclusions based on averages. Say you drive to work up the same hill every day. So every day for a year you record the maximum speed achieved on the hill and you try to maintain most other variables the same... same general load in the truck, tire pressure, same fuel quality, etc. At the end of the year, you average the results across the entire season, or for a period of time in one season. Then, you start adding something to the mix and run another year recording and average those results. Unless there were huge difference in the climate one year to the next, the averages would be a reasonable comparison. I have about 27 years worth of averaging on my '86's fuel economy, for example

gandalf

Reaction score
Jim, do you mean that my finely tuned Buttmeter isn't as accurate as I've always thought it to be? :eek::D Now I've got to find a shop to re-tune the darned thing.:rolleyes:

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a viable explanation, I've never been one that looks for that magic potion to replace metal. Such as worn Rings and bearings.

But I have found that certain additives like 2 stroke oil do produce favorable results. For me anyway. I mean, it's not a racecar in a bottle, but I could consistently tell the difference between running it, and not have fuel that had been treated, now given it will take a bit for it to run out after not adding.

Other additives such as the MMO, I really can't remember.

93blklightning

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want a super truck in a pinch, and don't care to tear things up.

Throw ya about 3-5 gallons of gasoline to a full tank in her, she'll jump up and run like a scalded dog.
But...... You'll also melt the valves out like a candle lol

I always wanted to try the mothball thing, always heard about it, but never tried it
Has anyone else?

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jim, do you mean that my finely tuned Buttmeter isn't as accurate as I've always thought it to be? :eek::D Now I've got to find a shop to re-tune the darned thing.:rolleyes:

Yep! Had to face the same thing myself. What helps me in calibrating the "Buttmeter" (good term!) is being able to do before and after test drive and dyno tests. Still, it's pretty tough to "feel" 5-10 hp. Five hp is within the margin for error on a chassis dyno with a good operator and the margin is greater with a so-so operator. People in my industry claim to be able to feel as little as five hp, but based on my own experience, I have strong doubts.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about adding 1oz. or 2 of acetone per tank?
I guy I work with said he did this while driving around the U.S. for a couple years hauling/living in his 5th wheel (30+footer) said better mileage and didn't hurt performance.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The acetone trick supposedly changes the chemical makeup of the diesel fuel. ... I don't understand what it does or if it does anything at all... I'm just wondering if anyone that has more chemical knowledge than me would know anything about the effects of adding it.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In raiding my files, I read acetone may aid in the combustion process but too much can cause a drop in MPG. At this point I don't understand the chemistry part of it. Acetone attacks and deteriorates certain plastics and rubber, nitrile being one. Can you say fuel tank "showrhead?"

Looking on the net, I see it used in gassers too and a fair number of people seem to report failed injectors as a result but it's all pretty anecdotal. I didn't look hard enough to see if much science has been devoted to the idea of using it in fuel. As cheap as acetone is (it's derived from wood), you'd thing it would be used as an additive if the advantages outweighed the disadvantages. To me it's experimental and I'll let someone else experiment. Following with interest, of course.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to look the guy up and ask if he has had any other problems with his truck....(fwiw he is a mechanic / millwright, and a good one at that.)

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real men run 1/4
Lol
Sorry could not resist!
I used to, but only have 1/8 near me now.

I have read about acetone in gassers to supposedly improve atomization during injection.

I'd like to see a controlled, independent additive test that evaluates injection pressure, quantity, timing, exhaust temp, emissions, power output, fuel cetane, and basic engine stats. That would be a start on a path to definitively finding out what each additive actually does.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short track roundyrounder? (1-8 mile)LOL 1/4 mile.
What about an addmix of the good ole stuff missing from ulsd or whatever the fuel is called now?
Must be a reason the petroleum ind. does not add any good stuff and raise the price?!
Would seem to be a good thing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin