Market survey - Do you want a Moose Blower?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Not downing your line of thought here mel but I severely doubt that you would sell more than 10 at that price. I understand that power costs money but that is a chunk of change to spend when most dont pay more than double or triple that for the vehicle. And you list in your post that this 50-75 hp gain is with using a moose pump and intercooler which would most definitely make total cost to someone with a stock pump and turbo $2500. Most drive an idi because they are cheap and effective and like you said in your first post most like to dream and not "nut up" so to speak.

I really hate to be downer here but I would say that if setup costs are very high then it is not a justified investment

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel when a good turbo rebuild can be up to $1100 a performance turbo for $1500 seems like a steal. I'm probably interested in one, but kind of agree with the other guys you probably won't sell a lot. Now if you can build the turbo's from fairly standard stuff and don't have to tool up special for them I think it's a great idea. If you have to pay for tooling on custom housings and stuff I'm afraid it may not have the return.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel when a good turbo rebuild can be up to $1100 a performance turbo for $1500 seems like a steal. I'm probably interested in one, but kind of agree with the other guys you probably won't sell a lot. Now if you can build the turbo's from fairly standard stuff and don't have to tool up special for them I think it's a great idea. If you have to pay for tooling on custom housings and stuff I'm afraid it may not have the return.

I have never spent more than $400 for a rebuild, and that was including a compressor wheel. Actually, for not much more than that, I upgrade with a new larger compressor housing and wheel. I don't see how a rebuild could ever cost $1100.

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I had $ I'd be interested... but I'm looking at another 2 full years of college education to get into the tree business; won't have anything left over. After that there will be other expenses.

That being said, with the field I'm headed to, I need a decent truck to work with. I'd rather spend a bit on upgrades and have a real nice OBS IDI than have an average "new" truck (lets say '99-present) with all the electronics and smog control stuff.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Mel... I say do it if the costs to you are not a bankrupting deal. Only you will know what it costs to do this. We are a limited market but those that want will buy in. Like I said early on. I have a spare Banks ready to be a test bed... PM me if you want to discuss this any.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well these responses are pretty much what I was expecting. No, I'm not looking to sell a lot of them. I've only sold probably 70 Moose pumps since 2007. That's not enough to keep any company in business doing that alone. However, most of us are not in a position to use some of the resources I have to try and bring some things to the market. As was mentioned, the availability of turbo kits is getting tougher. Add to that the difficulty that some of the kit makers may have in sourcing their current turbo models, and the likelihood of these kits going away completely increases. I'm not looking to offer a kit at this time. Simply a different turbo for those that already have the kits. However, kits may be a possibility some day if they go away completely. What I am looking to offer is a very high end turbo. Something that actually should retail for more in the neighborhood of $1700-1800. That is if I were hell bent on making money at it. I do have a growing over the counter business for the new truck guys. That's neither here nor there. There is way too much competition out there for high end turbo kits for those guys, and I don't have to invent them. I'm a dealer and I sell them. I've already got real nice Garrett upgrades for the the big 3, and I don't have to do any R&D or take any risks to sell them. With this project, I'm more likely to spend over a grand testing a turbo that I'm going to have to buy, and it may NOT work out, and then I've got a used turbo I can sell, and to who and for what application I have no idea. So there IS risk for me to try it. Just feeling out the water right now to see how many of you are willing to put your money where your mouth is (and I mean that in the most polite way).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks for the update information Mel. When you say you can upgrade the big three what can you do to the Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo. What I'm asking is what will change between what comes off the shelf from them and what will the turbo do after your done with it... More boost in a better map or open up some clearances or close up some clearances. Whats going to make the 50 to 75 hp gain.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
For a brand new, drop in charger of a good build (Garrett, Borg Warner, etc), I can definatly see $1500 as thats the going rate for a upgrade charger for the cummins, powerstroke, and duramax.

But that is a big pill to swallow. The other area to look into is upgrades to the chargers themselves to help cut costs down.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much air flow are we talking about?

Does anyone know what the air flow is of the big 3 turbos?

What about offering a kit that using a Cummins or Powerstroke turbo?

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Couple quick questions, are you talking +50-75 from normal boost levels (10-12) or maxed out boost levels? Figuring normal levels Im guesstimating itll be about 250-275whp? If so then quite frankly no I wouldnt be interested, for that little gain its not worth the hassle, also tbh if I had the $$ for a turbo upgrade (hopefully in a year or 2) Id go to R&D and for about the same price or a bit more get 350-450whp.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple quick questions, are you talking +50-75 from normal boost levels (10-12) or maxed out boost levels? Figuring normal levels Im guesstimating itll be about 250-275whp? If so then quite frankly no I wouldnt be interested, for that little gain its not worth the hassle, also tbh if I had the $$ for a turbo upgrade (hopefully in a year or 2) Id go to R&D and for about the same price or a bit more get 350-450whp.
MEL-
please read this post carefully. we do have other players in the IDI market now where they have put down some numbers where they can be referenced to but haven't been duplicated yet. if your product can put out the projected numbers on a CONSISTENT BASIS, there will be many lining up at your door.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I'd like to see a bolt in vgt/vvt (whatever you wanna call it) turbo. I don't know why, but I like em. What'd be cool is a vgt/vvt combined with a smoke puff eliminator where they work together. I think that'd be one clean, powerful combo.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel,

If I recall in our conversation you alluded to a few details in regards to the upgraded turbo. IIRC you said ball bearing, is that correct?

Also would it be a water cooled one as well?

Can you provide some details about what upgrades/improvements these particular units will offer?

As I'm not in a position at this point to purchase, I do know when I am prepared to, I would much prefer a NEW unit that can provide very substantial upgraded performance over the "Cough" BIG THREE "Cough" kits out there. And of those three kits, only two are currently available as there is NO MORE NEW ATS not even the Aurora model is available any longer!

So is this a 50-75 HP improvement OVER the big three kits current offering, or is this over the stock NA engine?

Im not sure if I can do anything that can help you but just PM if I can.

Thanks for thinking of us IDIers!

Al

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I could never claim to have bought something called "A moose Blower"
sorry.... couldn't ever do that in good spirits.

Here is a thought. Why not develop a system of piping, air intake boxes, etc etc that could be sold. Have this usable with a very common turbo that could be found easily available. Meaning a junkyard turbo off a "whatever is most common"
This would drive the price much lower, and you could use an existing turbo off a 94 dodge truck or whatever you design the system around. Obviously you could also sell the actual turbo in a kit as well.

just a thought