map senseor

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I was looking under the hood and found this map sensor I think its called all three wires were cut off and I coudnt find the wires they were cut from. the reading I have done about it shows it has to do with an auto trans telling it the outside air pressure for shifting. my truck used to have an e4od and now its a zf 5 speed so do I need this little guy anymore or can I take it off and leave it off? thanks guys its a 92 7.3idi 5 speed 4x4

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Took mine off and put it in the box of "unused, but somebody might need it" parts.

Seems to make no difference in anything for me. I too have a formerly e4od truck.

idiburner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright thanks a bunch guys defiantly settled my mind. one question tho I also have a 93 7.3idi turbo e4od and the trans is kinda acting up sometimes. can these sensors go bad? and if they can what kind of signs show up showing there bad?

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright thanks a bunch guys defiantly settled my mind. one question tho I also have a 93 7.3idi turbo e4od and the trans is kinda acting up sometimes. can these sensors go bad? and if they can what kind of signs show up showing there bad?

The sensor is a barometric sensor, used for the E4OD for shifting altitude increases power drops in the engine so this lets the TECA hold shifts longer (kind of like tow mod on newer trucks) for better performance.
Generally this sensor doesn't go bad, worse case before the computer figures out its not working right would be either it staying in gears longer or shorter then usual (though that can be changed with the FIPL too so don't deem it bad right away).

They can be switch between idi trucks as they should have the same part number.

Edit:

Barometric Pressure Sensor: Description and Operation

OPERATION On diesel engines, the BAROMETRIC PRESSURE SENSOR (BARO) senses atmospheric pressure to produce an electrical signal. The frequency of this signal varies with altitude the sensor operates similar to the manifold absolute pressure sensor, It measures barometric pressure instead of intake manifold pressure. The powertrain control module uses the signal from the barometric pressure sensor to determine the altitude at which the vehicle is operating. The powertrain control module then adjusts the E4OD shift schedule for the altitude.

PURPOSE The BARO sensor is used as an input to determine shift schedule and electronic pressure control for altitude operation.

SYMPTOMS Firm shift feel, late shifts at altitude.

DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES:

22, 72 (two digit)

126, 128, 129 (three digit).

Last edited:

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's located on the box that houses the air conditioner evaporator. Near the hood seal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online