Manual Transmission Gears Grind - Transmission Fluid Recommendations?

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5 speed manual transmission grinds too often as it goes into third gear on an up shift or downshift. Many times it slides into that gear very smoothly, but about 1 out of 10 times the gears grind. I pay close attention for what is going on when it does and does not grind and can detect no circumstance that causes it. I think the bottom line is that the synchronizer for third gear is going.

I have seen posts before that say this or that transmission fluid will help with this problem, but searching for 30 minutes yielded nothing. Can your recommend a transmission fluid that will help with this problem?

Thanks in advance,

BigRedWeather

dsltech83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try some 50wt synthetic gear lube ment for big truck manual trans. Probably time for synchros though, mine grinds every time unless I shift very slowly.

terrye

Reaction score
Ok, I had a 91 300 ZX. It would grind on downshift due to the syncros. My drag racing buddy said nothing would work, except a rebuild. I used Redline MTL and it stopped the grinding. The Fluid for my F350 is Redline D4 ATF. I am using a mixture of D4 ATF and MTL in the 6 speed of my 2003 F350 7.3. Works great. do some web reseach and i bet you will try it. Let us know how it works.
Terry

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding both of my Chevy NV4500 5 speeds due to synchro problems. One was pretty messed up, took a few hard parts to get it right and its been slow going while i replace parts one at a time during the rebuild.

All i can say is if you rebuild and have the resources DO IT YOURSELF. My tranny has been rebuilt before and there are clearly wrong/worn parts as well as the wrong oil.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ZF in my '94 used to grind into 3rd when I first got it. Changed the fluid with Ams Oil syn ATF (the spec is for syn ATF by the way) and the grind went away. I was impressed. I wouldn't use anything but a high quality syn ATF.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
440wagon

Staff online