Make my 89 F250 a dual wheel?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there does seem to be claims posted here,some years back.where some early '83-84 diesels where f250LD and came with semi floating rear axles.these are very rare,as iv only seen a few guys claim this.
Even in '83/84 trucks, they're very rare, but I have seen an '83 F-250 with a factory diesel and semi-floating rear axle with my own eyes. I want to say it had a T-19 and 3.07 gears, but I may be remembering it wrong. Unfortunately, this was back in the days before I had a digital camera, and I didn't think it was noteworthy enough to spend money to take pictures with a film camera and develop the film. Pictures would have helped when I got into an argument a few years ago with someone who tried to claim that they never existed and I had to have been making it up...

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah you wish your truck was on 48" spring pin centers, that would mean that all you need to do to run that van axle under your frame is slap some 1/2" spacer plates between the frame rails and the spring hangers (van spring perch width is actually 49" and not 50").

Unfortunately pickup-bed perch width is 45" (just verified it too), so if you got a pickup-framed truck you'll have to either cut the van perches off and weld new ones on or just space the rear hangers 2" out from the frame rails. If you got the cab-chassis frame, then that uses spring perch width of about 40" or so, in which case you should be able to just weld new perches onto the van axle and leave the old ones in place.

That said, yes, definitely do get that axle off your neighbor. Its WMS is only about 1/2" narrower than that of a pickup truck dually axle so for all intents and purposes the wheels will be in the exact same place as if it were a factory DRW pickup bed. How goofy would it look? Imagine your rear wheels sitting 3" further out (per side) than they sit now. That's where they will be with that axle. Oh, make sure you get the e-brake cables off that van as well, the ones for the Sterling won't work with the Dana axle.

Btw do keep in mind there are E350s and E450s with DRW dana axles, the E350 uses a D70 with integrated parking brakes and GAWR of 7600 lbs (so 200 more than a factory pickup DRW Sterling) and the E450 is likely a D80 with a driveline brake on the transmission end and GAWR of 9400 lbs. The E450 axle is even wider than the DRW pickup axle, by 2" per side IIRC.

Thank you for the information, those were rough measurement and it might have been from edge of perch to edge since I was by myself. 3" wider might not be that bad with factory rims considering how far they are sucked in. Maybe a set of 17" dodge rims that have a big backspace will work.

And it is a e350, has the parking brake in hat type rotors and is an 8 bolt. I was Leary too be fore looking at it thinking it would be a e450. As for the parking brake I'd like to go with a line lock instead of playing with shoes in hat design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting this thread...

if you co with the Dana, you will need to source a set of "coined" rims to run with the Dana.

So - whats a "coined" rim.
Got a few pictures of a 16" "coined" rim this evening. Look at the holes for the lugs...they're alternating between convex and concave. IIRC that's to locate the rim relative to the lugnut for a lug-centric rim (as opposed to a hub-centric rim where the lugnuts' only job is to keep the rim from falling off).

You must be registered for see images attach

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange. Out of over 40 different 8-hole wheels I have here, none are like that.
And that's not counting the mag-types like on the Dodge or the "car" type of molded inners.
I have the cone-seat types, the spindle-fit types in small (GM) and large (Ford, Dodge, trailers),
in different depths. Even some split-ring types :)
What was the application for the "coined" wheel?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I've seen them on all Ford and Dodge dually trucks. Even have a set of dually 16.5's here I bought off my uncle's old Dodge motorhome made the same way. To be honest, aside from aluminum dually wheels and the dually wheels on class A trucks, I've never seen any different. Notice the small hole between the lug holes. It's so the wheels can only go on one way and the alternating openings on the 2 wheels will interlock.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I think the primary application is DRW trucks with a Dana rear axle, but I'll defer to those with more experience with them :angel:

Both the Enterprise's DRW pickup Sterling 10.25" and Bruiser's implanted C&C 10.25" came factory with the wheels like that (coined). I believe both different numbers of Accuride dually wheels that Ford used are like that.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both the Enterprise's DRW pickup Sterling 10.25" and Bruiser's implanted C&C 10.25" came factory with the wheels like that (coined). I believe both different numbers of Accuride dually wheels that Ford used are like that.
WOW!!! That's very interesting...I've seen plenty of OEM Ford steel rims that came off of trucks with 10.25" DRW axles, and on every single one of them, the lug surface was flat. I wonder why your DRW axles came with coined rims?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

mine are not coined.all my lugnut holes are equal.let me grab part#...........

Accuride #29577

i had used ones and then i replaced with new ones.at least i sure didn't noticed any "coined" feature to them.you've sure got me doubting it now though lol.
no.you know what,i know they're not coined because i used to run rear wheel spacers that were non hub centric.i tried to center the wheels best i could but they wouldn't stay center with snugged up lug nuts.had they been coined however,they would of been fine.-this reamed out the center holes and why i had to replace them once i swapped in the true drw axle.

side note;
this is the first of heard of "coined" rims.it's interesting and a very good idea.makes me wonder why they are not all coined just for extra measure.it's just a good idea in general.anyway,thanks for the info guys.
i wonder where the term "coined" came from to represent alternating convex and concave lugnut holes.im missing it? lol.:dunno

Last edited:

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Must just be the ones I've seen :dunno

I'll have to get the part number off mine. I do know that I had to remove the locating pin from the hubs on the C&C axle when I installed it under Bruiser so I could run SRW wheels. It has factory 16.5" Budd wheels on it. The center of the wheel was also to narrow to fit over the full float hub and I had to run spacers to get everything flat/tight, else the wheel want flat on the wheel mounting surface (I could watch them wobble while driving!). The Enterprise also has these locating pins on the 10.25" rear and on the 2wd front wheel mounting surface.

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the wheels in my collection have that locating hole, but are not
"coined". BUT, I have never taken any of the tires off the '91 dually.
Never had a flat on it. :)
They may in fact be "coined".