Make my 89 F250 a dual wheel?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Guys, also keep in mine that the factory Ford dually fender flares (no longer in production) are made of thicker fiberglass than the new reproduction flares. So another vote for finding a factory dually bed with clean, unbroken flares. There is one near me, all primer red. I thought hard about picking it up since we can tell we'll find more hard to repair rust on mine when we take the flares off for refinishing. Stuck injector made that decision for me real quick.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So while we are on this subject, I might as well throw a hijack in here too.

What about a dually van rear with disc brakes? My neighbor has a 96ish passenger van that he is parting out. It looks to be a Dana 70. The perches are 50" and my srw truck is 48. It has 4.10 gears and I bet I can buy it off him with the leaf springs for about $100. With the duals on the total width is 16" wider than my truck.

How goofy would that look under my truck if I ran normal single wheels? I'd love to have rear disc brakes and I wouldn't mind duals but I'd have to run singles until I found a dually bed or a nicer flat bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TorchMadness

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Hey Torch. I read in "Diesel Power Magazine" years ago that Ford started using One ton axles on the rear of their diesels way before Chevy and Dodge did. I used the axles from a 1990 F250 on my Bronco project. I saw "F350" stamped on one of the brackets that were riveted to the frame. Just to throw a number out there, I'm guessing that Ford might have started doing that in 1988 when they switched to the 7.3. I have nothing to base that on, but it seemed like a good starting place. I'd check your truck. You could already have F350 springs.

Is this what you meant? Does this mean it's a 1 ton?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What about a dually van rear with disc brakes? My neighbor has a 96ish passenger van that he is parting out. It looks to be a Dana 70. The perches are 50" and my srw truck is 48. It has 4.10 gears and I bet I can buy it off him with the leaf springs for about $100. With the duals on the total width is 16" wider than my truck.

How goofy would that look under my truck if I ran normal single wheels? I'd love to have rear disc brakes and I wouldn't mind duals but I'd have to run singles until I found a dually bed or a nicer flat bed.

Rich(94F450sd) had one of those rears in his CC dually. other than welding on new perches, there rest looked OEM.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Torch. I read in "Diesel Power Magazine" years ago that Ford started using One ton axles on the rear of their diesels way before Chevy and Dodge did. I used the axles from a 1990 F250 on my Bronco project. I saw "F350" stamped on one of the brackets that were riveted to the frame. Just to throw a number out there, I'm guessing that Ford might have started doing that in 1988 when they switched to the 7.3. I have nothing to base that on, but it seemed like a good starting place. I'd check your truck. You could already have F350 springs.

all f250hd and srw f350 trucks use the same exact sterling 10.25 full floating axle.
the only thing different about the springs is that only some f250's came with the optional overload springs where they were standard on f350's.
a 2wd diesel f250 truck is the same truck of that of a 2wd f350 diesel truck.there are only differences between the front axles when 4wd.d50 f250/d60 f350.

there does seem to be claims posted here,some years back.where some early '83-84 diesels where f250LD and came with semi floating rear axles.these are very rare,as iv only seen a few guys claim this.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the difference in the width of a cab n chassis frame vs. Regular Dually?

How can I verify the difference? Measure across the axle from spring to spring or outer rail of frame to frame?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
A CnC Frame is the industry standard 36" frame rail with, and is fairly straight from the back of the cab to the rear bumper.

A CnC axle and SWR axle are almost the same width, which I think is 68" backing plate to backing plate. The CnC's spring perches will be closer to the differential (approximately 36" apart) and a SRW Pickup axle they will be farther from the diff, and closer to 40" apart

A DWR Axle is I believe 72" backing plate to backing plate, but the spring perches will be close to the same location as a SWR (like you have now). A Ford truck that had a Pickup Box/Bed on it from the factoru, the frame rails widen out behind the cab and are not "flat" like a CnC frame is. A CnC frame is the width to put a universal, industry standard aftermarket bed on (flatbed, utility bed, "Roach Coach" box, dump bed, etc) They can run duals on a CnC because of the grater distance from the hub to spring perches due to the narrower frame.

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
another helpful tip when searching for a pickup drw is the 3rd digit in the donor's vin will be a T.
2FTxxxxx.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

I wanna say I heard those are the same as CNC. True or not, I don't know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My CNC dually rear 10.25" seems to be narrower than my pickup dually axle.

it is.by a large margin.

My VIN Starts with 1FTHX25xxxxxxxx

right.all trucks that came from ford with a pickup bed will have T in the 3rd vin.
this means if your looking for a pickup truck dually rear,that truck will have a T in the 3rd position too.see what i'm saying?
or in other words if you see a truck with dual wheels in the salvage yard and look at it's vin and see it's a D (indicating cab and chassis) then you'll know that truck's rear axle wont work in your truck to convert it to a dually ok?

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yeah you wish your truck was on 48" spring pin centers, that would mean that all you need to do to run that van axle under your frame is slap some 1/2" spacer plates between the frame rails and the spring hangers (van spring perch width is actually 49" and not 50").

Unfortunately pickup-bed perch width is 45" (just verified it too), so if you got a pickup-framed truck you'll have to either cut the van perches off and weld new ones on or just space the rear hangers 2" out from the frame rails. If you got the cab-chassis frame, then that uses spring perch width of about 40" or so, in which case you should be able to just weld new perches onto the van axle and leave the old ones in place.

That said, yes, definitely do get that axle off your neighbor. Its WMS is only about 1/2" narrower than that of a pickup truck dually axle so for all intents and purposes the wheels will be in the exact same place as if it were a factory DRW pickup bed. How goofy would it look? Imagine your rear wheels sitting 3" further out (per side) than they sit now. That's where they will be with that axle. Oh, make sure you get the e-brake cables off that van as well, the ones for the Sterling won't work with the Dana axle.

Btw do keep in mind there are E350s and E450s with DRW dana axles, the E350 uses a D70 with integrated parking brakes and GAWR of 7600 lbs (so 200 more than a factory pickup DRW Sterling) and the E450 is likely a D80 with a driveline brake on the transmission end and GAWR of 9400 lbs. The E450 axle is even wider than the DRW pickup axle, by 2" per side IIRC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online