Maintaince items

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long of a change interval do you run with the LUCAS ??

It may be the cheaper option.

I don't put enough miles on my IDI to justify it. I just change mine every 6 months. I'm still too chicken to run any pickup diesel over 5K for a change unless it's running lots of highway miles.

OhnonotAgain

Reaction score
Oil change every 3 months?

Can someone please explain to me why the need to change oil every 3 months when the vehicle hasn't been run very many miles? It isn't like the dealerships change the oil on the cars on there lots every 3 months if they haven't been sold in that time period.
I mean - I can't see that there is going to be any deterioration of the oil just sitting there in 3 months or 6 months if the engine isn't run.
I don't drive my truck 3k miles in 6 months so why should I worry about changing the oil every 3 months? I may put more miles on the truck taking it to have the oil changed every 3 months than I drive all year long.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me why the need to change oil every 3 months when the vehicle hasn't been run very many miles? It isn't like the dealerships change the oil on the cars on there lots every 3 months if they haven't been sold in that time period.
I mean - I can't see that there is going to be any deterioration of the oil just sitting there in 3 months or 6 months if the engine isn't run.
I don't drive my truck 3k miles in 6 months so why should I worry about changing the oil every 3 months? I may put more miles on the truck taking it to have the oil changed every 3 months than I drive all year long.
condensation buildup in the crankcase leading to formation of acids. Biggest indicator of this is when you have a oil pan that rots from the inside out.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get an idea just how much condensation develops, just raise the hood of any vehicle that has sat all night in fog or Kentucky-humidity and it will look like a hose has been turned on the cold metal parts.

That same water-formation will also be inside the cylinders, inside the crank-case, and inside the fuel-tanks.

In reality, a vehicle that is driven enough every day to evaporate off this condensation can go longer---timewise---on an oil-change, than an un-used vehicle.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
condensation buildup in the crankcase leading to formation of acids. Biggest indicator of this is when you have a oil pan that rots from the inside out.
There are guys in our Grand Prix forum that think there head gaskets are blown... they get some chocolate milk in the oil pan/valve covers... What they don't realize, the quick little drives down to AM/PM and 7-11, or 10 min trip to work, doesn't get the engine hot enough to burn off the condensation... there 5-15 min trips are killing there oil... especially in the colder climate some of them live in...

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

A five-gallon pail of John Deere CI-4 15W-40 recently cost about $65; approximately how much does a five-gallon pail of the LUCAS cost ??

Where is this stuff available ??

Thanks.

We sell Lucas magnum 15/40 for $56 for 5 gallon. I'm suprised that it's cheaper than Deere.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We sell Lucas magnum 15/40 for $56 for 5 gallon. I'm suprised that it's cheaper than Deere.

That LUCAS sounds like the bargain of the day; any old oil around here is at least ten-bucks/gallon.

Is that a retail price for anyone ??

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
ok guys since this got kind of off track i think ill try to get it back on.

how about we start a list of parts that should be done at regular intervals for the engine. like what major fuel filter part numbers and when it should be done, oil filters, etc...also maybe cover other brands like fleetguard, luberfiner, wix, etc...

also things like glow plugs, injectors, CDR valve, return line kits and even capacities. maybe even good spots to buy certain items from...?

yay? nay?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah we should do that. Here is my shot at it.

Oil change interval, 3000 miles, or at least every 6 months. Brand of oil is another topic, but I use Delo, but I might switch it up a little bit.

Oil filter, change when doing oil change. I use fleetgaurd, though I dont have the part#

Air filter, I would think every other oil change, or once a year. Brand choice is once again your own liking.

Fuel filter, every third oil change, or once a year. I use fleetgaurd.

Window washing fluid, whenever you run out.

Coolant, Top it off if it goes down some, look into some headgaskets or leaks if its going down alot. Check once a week, its not that hard.

Injectors, I would say every 100K miles at least have the tested if not replaced.

IP, whenever it pukes out on you, though you might just want to go to 100k miles and then switch it out before it fails.

glow plugs, check them every 6 months to make sure if they are working good, replace if needed.

Tranny oil, I have no fricking idea, what kind of oil does a T-19 take?

Transfer case, no idea, how long and what kind of oil, I should do this on my truck cause I never have.

Rear end, every 50K miles :dunno , I should do that when I get a locker.

Shocks, once a year.

Tires, whenever the other ones dry rot or go bald.

Brakes, whenever they start squeeling real bad, or whenever you change tires, because you already have the wheel off then so you might as well do it.

Air freshener, up to you if you want to use on and when to change it.

I cannot think of any more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance