Magazine options?

flybear

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a magazine that deals at least a little bit with the older diesels, and not entirely on the newer turbo diesels? I'd like to subscribe to one but don't have much interest in the new expensive stuff.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I know that Diesel Power has been giving some attention to the ole dinosaurs along with the new ones.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
You've found the best one. Right here. Anymore if it can't be chipped it doesn't get much mag coverage.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Hey welcome to the site!!

How many mags are there?

I just got my dieselworld mag in the mail June issue it has a Blue oval article and it list oilburners at the end.

flybear

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not only new to the site, I'm new to Fords and Diesels too. I recently bought a 1987 F-350 crew cab long bed 6.9, c-6, 4.10 2wd. It has 217k, runs great, very good body, and I got it for $500. So far I'm very happy with it. It seats all 6 of us and seems like it will tow my Jeep and trailer just fine. What I need is information. I've been around gas engines (Jeeps) all my life and Diesels are like a foreign language to me. I have seen a few articles in Diesel Power about the 6.9 (March 07) but don't want to subscribe to a mag that will only have relevant info once in a while. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a different magazine.

Last edited:

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Check out the FAQ forum. All the info on a 6.9 you'll need An Welcome to OB and th eWorld of Ford Diesels.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I'm not only new to the site, I'm new to Fords and Diesels too. I recently bought a 1987 F-350 crew cab long bed 6.9, c-6, 4.10 2wd. It has 217k, runs great, very good body, and I got it for $500. So far I'm very happy with it. It seats all 6 of us and seems like it will tow my Jeep and trailer just fine. What I need is information. I've been around gas engines (Jeeps) all my life and Diesels are like a foreign language to me. I have seen a few articles in Diesel Power about the 6.9 (March 07) but don't want to subscribe to a mag that will only have relevant info once in a while. I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a different magazine.

Cool deal, just hang out here for awhile and you will find some cool stuff. not too much stuff on these old fords but the guys here know them like the back of their hands!!! $500?:thumbsup:

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Diesel Power is supposed to be doing some write ups on the IDIs in the future if I remember right. Our own Rob and his Blizzard were featured with a picture a while ago.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But still the newer trucks are the stars of the magazine. They aren't stupid...they gotta sell advertising...most of the upgrades are for the new trucks, therefore they feature mostly newer trucks. I would find a place to read diesel power in the store and buy the issues I like...that's what I do...not sure I could really justify a subscription to it.

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
JD,

You're absolutely right. The new stuff will get all the spotlight and the older stuff will be history articles. The way it's going to be. I'll probably end up with a second generation PSD in the next year or so, so I guess it won't matter for me.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a niche out there for a mag devoted to non-computerized diesels. Unfortunately to have enough circulation, it would probably need to cover a great variety of engines and trucks, so our IDI's might not get much more coverage than they do now, but I haven't seen any of the magazines devote a regular column to them like they should.

flybear

Reaction score
Well...... I guess I'll look at them in the store and decide whether to buy them or not. Can anyone give me a rough guess as to what kind of mileage I should expect with the c-6 and 4.10 gears? Just looking for a starting point.
And yes it was only $500 and the PO had put all new exhaust from "Y" on back, two new tires, new brakes front and rear with new hardware, a rad.,and new batteries. I probably would have gone as high as 2 or 3 thou., but they said they would take $500 so I gave them what they wanted.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:puke: C6 and 4.10's. I guess 12 would be doing well.

flybear

Reaction score
Well, the truck it's replacing, (J-20), got about 10-12 average and towed my CJ-7 and trailer to Tellico @ about 8.5 to 9, so if this truck does better than that I'm happy enough. It's not a DD either, got a VW Jetta for that. Thanks for the input.