Lucas Super Coolant

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have carved out the entire weekend to work on my truck.

The IP, injectors and return lines have about 2-3k miles on them. On my way to work I realized that I was passing a couple of miles from the shop that installed them, so I stopped and had a nice chat with the guys who did the work. I got to talk to the tech who rebuild their db2 pumps. While he could not remember what specific injectors went in a few years ago, he did say that all injectors were pop tested to the same pressure, the pump was built to factory specs and the torque screw was all the way out. We talked about the issues I have been having and the plans I have for getting all this sorted out. While there I picked up an AutoMeter Pyro kit, a bottle of FleetGuard SCA4 and a few test strips. Now I need to find a color chart online to compare against.

I will be swapping the drivers side manifold and installing the pyro this weekend and putting in a Motorcraft
Thermostat.

In your opinion, would there be any benefit to having the water wetter in our trucks. (Not the Lucas stuff)

The trip I have coming up should have a max of 10% grades, but some are 5+ miles long of 6%, nothing like the grade between Sacramento and Reno though, so I am glad of that.

When I set the timing last, it was about 8 degrees at 2000 rpm.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All what you posted sounds like its correct but for me not knowing who did the pump rebuild I am not ready to say you need a new pump. They may or may not know whats correct in these pumps and the replacement parts really need to be top quality Standdyne only parts. The Redline Water Wetter is ok to use. Just make sure you all enough of it. Actually a less that 50 50 mix of coolant and water will transfer more heat than the standard 50% mix. And useing only truely steam distilled water is best. That way the mineral dropout wont ruin a radiater like normally happens in these rigs. I learned that the hard way many years ago. I ruined the oem rad and replaced it in ok city only to ruin that about 3 years later from the ok city hard water. We live and learn. Then we teach others our mistakes...

JohnZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All what you posted sounds like its correct but for me not knowing who did the pump rebuild I am not ready to say you need a new pump. They may or may not know whats correct in these pumps and the replacement parts really need to be top quality Standdyne only parts. The Redline Water Wetter is ok to use. Just make sure you all enough of it. Actually a less that 50 50 mix of coolant and water will transfer more heat than the standard 50% mix. And useing only truely steam distilled water is best. That way the mineral dropout wont ruin a radiater like normally happens in these rigs. I learned that the hard way many years ago. I ruined the oem rad and replaced it in ok city only to ruin that about 3 years later from the ok city hard water. We live and learn. Then we teach others our mistakes...

Hopefully the shop that replaced the radiator put in the right water / antifreze mix. I think that they said they only used a Fleet brand pre-mixed antifreeze by the bottle, but that was about 4 years ago. I do not recall having to add any coolant since that time.

The company that rebuilt the pump is Gillette Diesel Service - http://www.gillettdiesel.com/services.aspx. I went there as they were #1 - The only local company I could find at the time that would even touch the IDI engine and #2 - They are an authorized Standyne rebuilder, so I would HOPE that they would only use genuine Standyne parts. On their page, they say that they have been rebuilding pumps since 1977. I have not ruled out a bad pump, but since I have so many other items that are known to have issues, I am working to get all of those fixed first before tackling the IP, Turbo, or Camshaft. Some day, I should do a compression and / or leak down test.

You state to only use Truly Steam Distilled water. The only distilled water I know of is in the gallon bottles at the grocery store. They have bottles with different labels, but only one is labeled "Distilled". Would that be O.K. Or should I try and find out how that water is actually distilled. Along the topic of mineral deposits, would it be wise to install a coolant filter? Would that take out any minerals from the water to reduce / eliminate mineral dropout in the radiator?

Thanks - JohnZ

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just hauled a load 6000lbs over 120 miles 90F+ Degrees, even got pulled over and ticketed, but No worries when my temp gauge rises past the halfway mark.
With a cooling system that consist of clean Alum radiator a coolant filter and Evans Coolant I never have to worry about high pressure blowing a hose
or boiling over, that sure takes a load off my mind as I run my truck hard when I need it.
Happy I took the plunge and found a real performer!

Javier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsims

Members online