Lucas Products

osus86diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started using some lucas oil additive and fuel treatments in my truck. I was just curious to see what everyone thinks of them.

Any tips or pointers?

Haulinhazmat

Reaction score
Lucas oil

I just started useing Lucas oils and I like them. I put a gal in the oil and stopped a rear main seal leak. I use it in the rears and both trans.
I use type F trans fluid in the fuel tanks. Works for me.

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the oil additive consists of is a thickener, it adds nothing to the oil (actually dilutes what additives are in your oil). It is not thought of too highly on most oil forums.

I've seen some pretty good MPG increases running their fuel additive in my 99.

Hoss6.9

V - "The BOSS"
Reaction score
Thoughts on Lucas Additives.....

I have personally used any and all of the Lucas additives since the mid-ninties and have been very satisfied with the results and have no complaints what-so-ever... Besides rising costs.... Like all oils and fuels anyways.... I love the stuff myself....

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
I have never heard anything thing bad about Lucas products and i use them periodically as a stop gap measure for oil leaks or othe lubricating fluid weaknesses until i have an oppurtunity to fix the issue and switch over to Amsoil i like the honey properties of lucas but i just do not know enough of there origin other than racing to fully trust them for the long haul

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Since I am new here I didn't have a chance to post in this when it was fresh. I agree with other posts here in that Lucas is not thought very highly of on several sites dealing with oil. It is also not thought of very highly by many of the engineers that post on several sites I frequent.

The Lucas & Royal Purple gear oils failed a viscosity test which was performed after a 20 hr shear test on all the oils in the study. It is the second test result posted in the study I linked below.

If you care to read the gear oil study its here Gear Oils White Paper.

Please do two things when reading it.

One:
Read it closely and don't skim when you skim you don't pick up on the explanations for each test and thus don't know if high or low is the good place to be in the results.

Two:
Keep an open mind. Amsoil did pay an independent lab for this study somebody has to pay for these tests, but you will also find that Amsoil doesn't finish as the top oil in most tests except the wear tests. Why would they publish **** results where they aren't the best in each test? Amsoil does finish in the top 3 spots in most all the tests making it on average the overall best finishing oil in the study. There is a ranking sheet at the end of the paper showing how each oil finished in each test and taking that score adding it up and the lowest points is the O/A best oil by test results.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used Lucas trans and fuel system treatments with good results, I cant speak for the rest of there products. I've had some bad injectors get cleared up in gas cars with the Fuel system cleaner.
About 10 years ago on a Friday my 75 Chevy 4x4 transmission strated slipping in 3rd gear, it got so bad that it wouldnt hold 3rd gear. It was Bowling Green tractor pull weekend and I was leaving right after work so I got 2 bottles of the Lucas trans fix and put them in, it fixed it I made all my pre weeked running, and got to BG and back but Sunday on the return trip it would start to slip some under a load but I made it home just fine.
As far as the Amsoil, I dont want to start a big debate but I've seen too many engines let go on that stuff, and not race engines all daily drivers. I feel its way too thin for anything daily driven. It may be great stuff that will pass lab tests but I've seen too much carnage caused form it to put it in my engine.

MJ Synthetics

Site Sponsor
Reaction score
I've used Lucas trans and fuel system treatments with good results, I cant speak for the rest of there products. I've had some bad injectors get cleared up in gas cars with the Fuel system cleaner.
About 10 years ago on a Friday my 75 Chevy 4x4 transmission strated slipping in 3rd gear, it got so bad that it wouldnt hold 3rd gear. It was Bowling Green tractor pull weekend and I was leaving right after work so I got 2 bottles of the Lucas trans fix and put them in, it fixed it I made all my pre weeked running, and got to BG and back but Sunday on the return trip it would start to slip some under a load but I made it home just fine.
As far as the Amsoil, I dont want to start a big debate but I've seen too many engines let go on that stuff, and not race engines all daily drivers. I feel its way too thin for anything daily driven. It may be great stuff that will pass lab tests but I've seen too much carnage caused form it to put it in my engine.

Yeah I really didn't want to start the age old debate either. Amsoil is not the end all of oils I know that and its not for everybody I know that too.

I sure hope all the people that you have seen with carnage using Amsoil called and used the Amsoil gaurantee to get their carnage fixed. All the oils carry warranty that says Amsoil will repair the damage if it is an oil related failure cause by the use of Amsoil.

All multigrade oils are thin when poured and that is what provides the cold start up protection. I am sorry for your friends that have carnage and think it was the oil. Chances are it wasn't but who really knows for sure unless they had the engine and oil analized and have written results from both. Since Amsoil started the warranty program until 2004 (is the last update I have seen) over 30 years not one warranty claim has been paid out for an oil related failure due to the use of Amsoil products. Not many oil companies offer the warranty for full repair or replacment that Amsoil does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking

Members online