lower temp fan clutch

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Heath, I just dug through my email and it looks like I deleted the one from the guy at MS Tech, and I don't rememner the exact price. But it was somewhere in the range of $400.

For that kind of money that thing better come with a switch and be electric so I can turn it on and off, but I know it's not. That's rediculous.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
My fan always keeps my engine at 170 crusing down the road, and i see a max of 190 pulling the mountian 8% grade, and a max of 180 idle for extended time periods, all these temps at 85-95 degrees outside

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It's worth the money. You are getting a brand spanking new ford factory fan clutch , which is not cheap to begin with, we're talking way over $300 before tax and before they even get their hands on it. THen they take the thing and turn it into something that works. So you get the factory quality that you know is going to last 10-15 years, but it has been modified to come on when it will actually do some good instead of the factory setting ( which as it was explained to me by one of the guys at MS, was fords way of trying to slip past the fleet emissions standards so they had the fan clutch not locking all the way up till around the same point that the overtemp light was going off cookoo )

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"My fan always keeps my engine at 170 crusing down the road, and i see a max of 190 pulling the mountian 8% grade, and a max of 180 idle for extended time periods, all these temps at 85-95 degrees outside"

Put 15,000 behind it and see what it does.

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
"My fan always keeps my engine at 170 crusing down the road, and i see a max of 190 pulling the mountian 8% grade, and a max of 180 idle for extended time periods, all these temps at 85-95 degrees outside"

+1
Stock fan works great for daily driving, but towing up hills, it won't lock up until engine starts getting very hot. Then it stays locked on fine and cools it right down. Just need it to lock up a little sooner.

So what you're saying is you can lock it for towing, and then when you're done you can go back with a wrench and unlock it? Im talking about the stock btw...

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the hills on I-55 South of St. Louis last summer with just short of 20,000 GVCW in 105* heat and hit almost 250*. Never heard the Fan clutch lock in but then again, my hearing ain't what it should be. My normal fluid temps under load are 210* water & 220* oil. I hit the first exit, found a shade tree and waited for the sun to set.
I too think that the 4C$ for the worked over fan clutch is a bit pricey, but so much is these days. I think that the thermo spring can be re-clocked to give an earlier lock up. I just need time to figure it out. It may be that another spring is out there that will swap in for the desired result. I think 225*-230* max would be good.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i drove across country last summer in my truck pulling a small trailer (weighed 10,000 lbs total), going up the moutians with the AC on, the fan clutch would lock up at right around 220F and would cool it back down to about 180 before going silent. When the fan locked up you could hear it and i knew for certain it was working.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score

Kinda odd you said thatLOL this evening i just pulled my first load with it i pulled my old 245 massey fergerson on our double axle car hauler, it was pretty heavy i could really tell it was behind me, didnt pull it but about 20 miles there was just a couple hills not real big but i held around 185 the hole trip i think i got to 190 on 1 hill but it wasnt a very big hill,

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
When the fan locked up you could hear it and i knew for certain it was working.

Exactly some people say they are not sure the fan is locking up...When it locks up at 2000+ rpm you will hear it, unless you do have really bad hearing. Sounds just like a MACK truck.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I groundm a slot in mine and reclocked the spring, 1/4 inch counterclockwise, glued it back down with windshield urethane, works awesome. MS tech is going the way of DPS on service I have been told. No one wants to support IDI'S anymore.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did just less than 1/8". Didn't seem to make any difference. Damn! I guess I'll go the other 1/8" and see what it does.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a recent similar thread, MEL enlightened me that there is no comparison between cooling of a 6.9 and a 7.3; something to do with the 7.3 lacking many of the coolant passages that a 6.9 has.

I know that loaded REAL HEAVY and in extreme heat conditions, my old 6.9 with a crappy old worn-out fan-clutch, MAX A/C blowing strong and turbo whistling, NEVER EVER offered to even act like it was going to overheat.

All that being said, I absolutely abhor thermal-lock-up fan-clutches, more so due to very poor A/C performance than engine cooling issues; hence, I have two sets of clutches for each truck, a standard un-altered clutch and one that I have pinned solid.

I put the pinned clutches on about mid-MAY and the un-altered ones on about mid-SEPTEMBER; I see no need for a hurricane blowing through the radiator when it is 30* outside.

I can see/feel no difference whatsoever in fuel-mileage or power between the two.

There is a company that makes electric-switched fan-clutches that would be way more desirable than the troublesome thermal-spring type.

REGARDLESS of engine/vehicle make/model, there are more complaints of poor engine cooling and poor A/C performance due to the fan-clutch than any other problem; YET, people just keep putting up with them, afraid they might lose half-a-horsepower or a couple MPGs. cookoo

BIG electric fan set-ups are even better that any engine-driven fan.

Many will claim that the engine-driven fan pulls more air than an electric, but I can't see it.

The engine-driven fan barely crawls along in RPM compared to a good big electric; and, the constant speed of the electric is much prefered to the fluctuating speed of an engine-driven fan; PLUS, one can have electric fans controlled by manual ON/OFF switches and kill them completely in cold weather, or have them going full-blast when sitting still with the A/C on. :)

Last edited:

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
yes the fan barely crawls along but if you look at the shape of the blades on that manual compared to an electric your answer is there. the manual fan has a larger surface area and more of a rake to them then an electric setup. thats why it is much louder then then an electric setup as well.

mike3dpro

T-rex 700E
Reaction score
Yea I like electric fans only because you can turn them on and off, and they usually move enough air. I do believe that a locked up fan will move more air at 900 or so rpm than most electric fans. I put my hand behind it while idling, and I can't believe how much flow is coming off these fans. They just have so much pitch on the blades.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know why so many have issues with replacement or factory fan clutches.
I bought a Hayden fan clutch at napa 2 months ago and cant get this thing to go over 210, even pulling long grades and you know how hot Vegas gets.

I notice that it fully locks in between 205 and 210.

Even with my old factory clutch, it was fully locked in at the same temps.