Low RPM governor speed

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Can anyone get me clarity on this? I believe the smaller spring is for setting governed IDLE speed. And the larger one is for setting governed max rpm. So... I've gotten direction to cut and stretch both of them back and forth now and I'm confused. The 6.2/6.5 spring people put in to RAISE max RPM must be to replace the larger spring. Is it LONGER than the 7.3 spring? Or is it SHORTER?

Steven Donald

Reaction score
I really want to make an adjustment this afternoon. Thewespaul, can you clarify once again? I don't want to make the wrong change.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can cut the short spring to make a more extreme adjustment, and you will have to adjust the idle screw to compensate. Do you have a spare IP you can rob parts from for peace of mind? If not I wouldn’t cut anything yet, stretch the longer spring out and see if you are happy with the adjustment, make sure your rpm limiting screw on the throttle bracket is backed all the way out. If you decide you want more rpm after that, I would then do the 6.2/6.5 spring then if you want more still look into cutting your small spring once you have a spare.

If you don’t have spare parts I think it would be better to exhaust all the mods that are reversible first then step it up from there.

Steven Donald

Reaction score
OK, when I cut the small spring, I then turn the nut adjustment in towards that small spring to keep the idle the same? Or does that adjustment not work like I'm thinking?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idle adjustment on the throttle bracket, it should just be a lock nut and flat head for the adjustment, I wouldn’t mess with the short spring quite yet tho

Steven Donald

Reaction score
Oh man, I need help, lol! I pulled it apart and stretched the large spring about 1/4" longer and put it back together. Now it idles at 3,000 rpm!! I pulled the idle adjustment all the way down and screwed in the electronic idle solenoid and it didn't make a difference. Then Inipebws it up again and "loosened" the large spring, compressing the small spring and nada... Still 3,000 rpm. Any ideas?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think your seated in the notch correctly then, is the throttle smooth when moving it by hand with the engine off?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the notch I’m referring to,
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
did you mark your governor adjustments before disassembly to be sure you got it back to where it needs to be?

Steven Donald

Reaction score
It's hitting 15 psi from 2,600 to about 3,250 then tapers back off. Think that looks and sounds like it's well enough tuned?

Used to it would fall on it's face right at 3,000rpm, so you had to short shift and the turbo would de-spool a bit. This is way better, keeps the engine in the power band MUCH better!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds normal, by design the stock pump looses efficiency at those higher rpms so you will not have as much fuel up there

Steven Donald

Reaction score
So, the adjustments I made to the IP seemed to retard the timing quite a bit, it was running crazy quiet. I advanced the timing a bit more and took another test drive. This is the fastest IDI I have ever been in. Check out this video.l, I started in 2nd and went 0-60 in about 8 seconds. Not bad for a huge diesel, 4x4 extended cab long bed from 1991!!!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Thanks again for all the help Thewespaul!

What type of horsepower do ya think I'm making? 225?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online