1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low pressure oil delay

Discussion in '6.0L Powerstroke Diesels' started by Oledirtypearl86, Jul 1, 2019.

1. BR3

BR3 Full Access Member

Yeah maybe more likely, but if it's flowing so fast that the hpop reservoir emptys, I could see a 4 second fill time delay.

Air tests never hurt for sure, but always just pull the dipstick first lol. Had a buddy with a 7.3 psd chase his tail for over a month with scan tools and research and sensor testing just to find that you'll have intermittent strange idle and oil pressure loss when you are a gallon of oil low.

Easiest thing first always

2. Oledirtypearl86

Oledirtypearl86 Full Access Member

So been do a little research on the air test iv never performed one before any tips or tricks to it ?

3. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

A knuckle works well, the ipr socket is a must.
    I purchased the adapter that goes in place of the ipr valve. That way can avoid having to supply power to the ipr.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86 likes this.
  4. Oledirtypearl86

So pulled codes and this is what I got IMG_20190706_174117.jpg

Looks like hpop I still need to do an air test just have to pull the toys out of the garage so I have room to pull the excursion in if it is hpop and I do a air test what do I put Sten for every video iv watched has been pretty uninformative of what to look and listen too

5. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

If using the adapter that goes in place of the ipr, you shouldn't hear any leaks at all.
    I already had a hpop on hand, I had the intake and turbo removed. I heard the air from the turbo drain tube hole that goes into the hpop cover. You can also pull the oil fill cap off.
    Would be easiest to isolate with the valvecovers off. I'm not sure if you would be able to pin point it with the covers on. Maybe by pulling the other dummy plug on the driver side valve cover.
    Your year actually has the better "plumbing," unlike the 04+ with the standpipes. That's not to say they can't leak, it's just not common. Same for the nipple cups on the oil rail.
    It can also take a few minutes before you hear air, basically will have to push oil out of the way first.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

6. Oledirtypearl86

Yes I was planning on pulling both valve covers hoping to better isolate the leak

7. bismic1

bismic1 Full Access Member

As mentioned above, also pull out the oil filter and disconnect the turbo oil drain to listen at those points as well.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  8. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

This happened to our 6.0 excursion. Took about 15-20 seconds of cranking to build enough low pressure oil to feed the HPOP and build high oil pressure with the ball gone. I took the HPOP out and tapped it for a pipe plug. Never did find the ball bearing in the engine.....

9. FordGuy100

FordGuy100 Registered User

This happened to our 6.0 excursion. Took about 15-20 seconds of cranking to build enough low pressure oil to feed the HPOP and build high oil pressure with the ball gone. I took the HPOP out and tapped it for a pipe plug. Never did find the ball bearing in the engine.....