Lots of smoke when cold

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok let me give a lil history, the truck is a 91 non IC W250 4x. It's got around 250k on it. I've been running WVO/WMO in it for a few thousand miles. Someone messed with the smoke screw before I owned it(cap is damaged)

When you first start it,it runs great no smoke. Then after around 45 sec of running it'll start rattling in the front cover area and it smokes bad. Once warmed up it smokes a lil while at idle and then it'll smoke more while under boost. The smoke is blue/white cold and grey/black hot.

It sounds like the IP thats rattling. Could there be a cracked fuel line(sucking air)? Mabey the lift pumps bad? Clogged in tank filter? I had the front cover off and all looks good, other than the oil pump drive gears out of spec by a few thou.

If it's a wasted IP or injectors no big deal they are gettin replaced anyway.

Stu

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jared it does what? Smokes and rattles, or just smokes? I'm going to try and clean it out by misting water into the intake (after the turbo).

I think its all gummed up becouse I was running things a lil thick...even though it's been 70+ since I've been messin with it.

Stu

MMeier

Reaction score
Try disconnecting your KSB...( cold start advance) ) maybe its staying on. See if it acts differently, sounds like it is over advanced to me.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok prior to this post I did check the KSB (per the FSM). It all checked out. I tried it disconnected...smoked less. I let it run till warm and tried connecting it and after about 30 sec. it dropped the idle and smoked more. Jared give it a try.

MMeier thanks for pointing that out. Running altfuel like WMO/WVO I'm sure it'll smoke more. With it discoed it smokes less, but I think I have a bad injector still.

Oh and most of the rattle was when the KSB kicked in.

Stu

MMeier

Reaction score
I thought it is supposed to turn off at a certain temp? on my ;93, it is disconnected at all times, even during the winter when I travel to colder climates.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it is supposed to turn off at a certain temp? on my ;93, it is disconnected at all times, even during the winter when I travel to colder climates.

I can tell when mine comes on, engine drags down and idles rough when cold. It should go off at a certin temp. I'll have to test mine it might just stay on.

I did run it for awhile last night with it off and it ran alot better.

Stu

MMeier

Reaction score
What does the KSB look lie, im guessing its a solenoid on the side of the injection pump?

More or less, as you lean over the Ds fender, it is down low toward you... away from engine, pull the wire to it and see what happens. Won't hurt anything.

oly_fab

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok pulled the injectors yesterday...ugly. They were all plugged, I took a wire brush and then a dremel with a fine wire wheel to them. Runs smoother and little to no smoke now.

I know why mine were plugged, it's the alt fuel I'm messing with. I was running too thick at first and have since changed my blend. We'll see what happens.

Stu

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online