Lost Tire, and Fender.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this happen three times. I've FINALLY learned that putting on the best tires is cheaper than replacing bargain tires AND fenders. I learned from Towcat that the best dually tires are the ones with the least sidewall flex. One way to tell how well a tire will hold up is by checking the weight of the tire. The heavier the weight, the stiffer the sidewalls. Look for tires in the 50+ pound range.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as we are talking tires, I will also say this :

Unless the tire in question is a Firestone R4S or SteelTex, or a GoodYear Wrangler HT, in 99% of the "blow-out" cases, it is not really a blow-out, but a run-flat situation.

How it plays out, ESPECIALLY on a trailer or the rear of a DRW, is a tire will get punctured, causing a slow leak.

It goes un-noticed and keeps losing air-pressure, until the side-walls are in contact with the road; the driver just goes faster.

Heat builds up; then, KER-BOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!, that sorry brand _____ tire just blew out and nearly caused me to wreck.

Maybe I pay more attention than most, but just start noticing peoples tires on all kinds of vehicles; you will be amazed to see how many $50,000 vehicles are driving around on half-flat tires; you are meeting these people at seventy-miles-per-hour, while they are talking on their cell-phone, eating a burger, playing with the GPS, and talking to ON-STAR.

Just a walk across the Walmart parking-lot will yield more than 2/3s of the vehicles with at least one tire that is 15-PSI or more low.

The driver will come out, blabbing on a cell-phone and smoking, yank a youngen's arm about half off and toss him into the backseat, strap a baby into the car-seat, pick his pacifier off the ground and stick it back in his mouth, glance around to see that no one that cares is watching and then toss two rolled-up dirty diapers into the bed of the PowerStroke sitting close by, slam the door, back out in front of someone, squeek the tires, pull right out in front of a 4700-gallon tri-axle milk-truck, and floor-board it, never missing a word on the phone, and head to the house at seventy-miles-per-hour, never noticing that the left-front tire is running on the sidewalls; this scenario plays out dozens of times each day in every town in America.cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online