Loss of oil pressure

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of my dad's has had a issue with his PSD F450. He lost oil pressure and it was confirmed with a real gauge. There is flow but no pressure. The truck will run but what may cause low oil pressure and run poorly/low power?

Heath

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the low oil preasure is the cause of the low power more then likely but as for the cause of the low preasure I'm sure some one will come along with some whree to start

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine oil pressure or high pressure oil, which one are we talking about here?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are all good questions, but this is third hand and I'm a little short on details. I'll try and get more today.

Mike, we are talking about the low pressure lube system, not the high pressure injector system.

Heath

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I've got some more info. Dad talked to the guy and here's the skinny:

2001 F-450
84,000 miles
Checked pressure at stock sender's location (removed sender and used mech gauge).
Removed pan......susposedly crank and rods seem "OK", he didn't remove any caps, just gave them a "good look/feel.":dunno
Removed oil pump and it was apparently "in spec."

He was told that it could be a "cracked oil gally" by someone who "knows about PSD's.":dunno

Hope that helps.

Heath

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
f-450----is there enough room on those for the pan to drop without removing the eng?

LPOP is in spec.....there is a check ball/spring in the timing cover that aligns with the IPR if I'm not mistaken....does he have the timing cover off?...

Checking the LPOP can be done without removing the timing cover.....

As far as a cracked oil gallery--- :dunno haven't heard it to be an issue....

sassyrel

Reaction score
as geo said--that 450 better have a whole bunch better clearance than a 350--as the pan aint coming off with out removing the engine--and if so--did he check the bottom--or the top of the rods--the top half is what wears--the mains the bottom half---and you cant feel it with your fingers either--youll see the babbitt and copper wore if look, but not feel--also--id say hes loosing pressure elsewhere----and i have heard of a block cracking along the oil gallery--but it was wayyyyyyyyy turned up--and the bottom came apart also--!!!!! more likely the oil pressure regulator is stuck open--its in where the oil filter screws onto--

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update.....

The guy pulled the motor and took it down. He didn't find any problems or obvious cause for the loss in pressure. No obvious crank or rod bearing issues.

He did take the oil cooler off and told Dad the relief valve "looked fine".....ie not stuck open.:dunno

I don't know what the deal is with this engine.....any more ideas???

Heath

ricerocket86

Reaction score
Low pressure oil pump. If its wore out and going bad, it will pump enough oil to run, but not enough to run 100% Pull the pump cover and see if the pump is wore out at all.