Loose nozzle on new injector.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get a set of new Standayne "G" code injectors and installed them yesterday (along with a NOS reman IP and GP's).

Well I run to one of my customers and when I stop I hear a hissing noise. There is air and fuel spraying out of every hose and gasket on my fuel tank.

Turns out Stanadyne didn't tighten the nozzle on the injector, which mean there was no spring tension on the pintle, and the injector was letting combustion gasses into the return system. The nozzle was only about 1/2 turn loose, which is apparently enough to wreck havoc.

I'm real unhappy with Stanadyne for letting an injector leave the plant partially assembled. Plus the money I lost with the truck being down PLUS my customer (a repair shop) seeing my truck ******* diesel all over.

I'm sure this was a one in a million thing, but just check your nozzles before installing injectors. The nozzle will turn easily if it is not torqued down on the injector body.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Funny you should say that - we see a lot of bad Cummins ISC and ISB injectors right out of the box from Cummins.....Expensive junk I say...:dunno

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The torque can't be much. Probably less than a standard torque wrench would work at. I just snugged mine down with a wrench. Once the injector is torqued down into the head the nozzle can't loosen up. And the nozzle has a positive stop so it just needs to be tight enough to not loosen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaryB

Members online