Loose Lips Sink Ships?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I have a couple of euro car service places that I'm dropping drums for. Most of the shops around here get paid $.10/gallon for their waste oil by Interstate. Starting to sound like the WVO story all over again...

depending on who they are offer them a barrel to fill up for you and stop less often. i just talked to one of the many local garages and they were real cool about it.

it takes some extra work to set up but you don't want this taking over ALL of your free time.

i just got back from the rally running 100 and it runs great if my fuel pump can keep up. i have a electrical gremlin giving me headaches i think i have it nailed now since i replaced the relay.

chri7s

Reaction score
Does WMO not work in a powerstroke? I've just started to fun it in my '94 IDI (33%) and it runs great. But my dad wanted to try it in his '96 stroke. Should I tell him not to?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well regarding the 7.3 powerstroke. Also wondering if the cat needs to find a new home if running WMO.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've read in many places that "common rail" TDI's will not run it well. Does the Powerstroke system qualify as such?

I think you may be able to cut it with diesel, but not run it 100% on WMO - my answer is worth what you paid for it though...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
my BIL has a 96 powersmoke and he was running about a 75% WMO to 25% diesel or kero mix. runs well for him in the warm weather lately and he can afford to drive his truck again. i would start with a lighter mix though and there can still be issues with carbon on the injectors if the oil and engine are running cold.

chri7s

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking 50/50 mix at the most for now, on a '96 with dual tanks. Plan is to start and shut down on #2. Going to run one tank with the mix and one with #2. That way I can swtich for start up and shutdown. Any ideas on the cat? Just wondering if it will clog up running the mix.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Keep yer mouth shut about this stuff :) or the party will be over FAST.

In other news I just secured a 500 gallon supply of good clean oil :-D

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would worry about carrying 55 gallon drums in plain site - especially on a long interstate journey where some DOT officers maybe out on the roads... not only could they pull you over for a possible hazmat issue (different rules in different states / county's I'd imagine) but they may also dip your tanks, and then you're looking at a penalty for not paying road taxes.... be carefull.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a powerstroke -and so far I have a few hundred miles on as much as a 60% mix. I started with 5 gallons to top off a tank that was about 3/4 full, then after running a while and noticing no ill effects, I poured in another 5 gallons to richen the mixture to about 50-60% -- this is in the summer time.

Dual tanks is certainly a huge bonus -- running straight diesel in one tank is certainly a safety measure if nothing else - also keeping a fuel filter and the tools to change it in the truck is wise.

I'm leaning more towards waste ATF in the winter time - especially since i have a connection to pick up about as much as I want not far from home.

I TOTALLY AGREE with the tight lipped treatment of this situation - I don't want to get busted with road tax penalties - or end up getting undercut by other people doing the same thing and me ending up with no more oil sources - especially since I just replaced my daily driver ****** with a mercedes diesel for the fuel 'options' available!

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
It's simple if you're worried about carrying 55 gallon drums - build a side laying cradle for them like a transfer tank - or get a transfer tank. If you're really worried don't plumb the transfer tank to the main tanks and pump as necessary. You won't get stopped unless you live in a police state or a little fiefdom area with a$$master LEOs that get in your face all the time.

A clean, stock-looking truck, a fresh haircut and courteous driving goes a long way to keep the fuzz off yer butt.

rock mafia

Reaction score
You guys are lucky. Went searching around here a few weeks ago and the local used oil pickup co. has started paying 60-90 cents a gallon for wmo.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
They are buying it to filter and sell as waste oil furnace fuel...They sell it for $.35-40 cents per liter around here....A bargain when you consider furnace is like $1.25 per liter.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
A few of the more organized larger shops here get $.10/gallon from Interstate. But I get most of my oil from farm managers and independent car shop dudes that aren't interested in signing contracts with big oil.

Before long we're going to see the urban miners start carrying cordless drills and 5 gallon buckets :)

You guys are lucky. Went searching around here a few weeks ago and the local used oil pickup co. has started paying 60-90 cents a gallon for wmo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726