looking to buy a 95 Chevy 1 ton dually 4x4 6.5

95oneton

Reaction score
Hey yall,
First let me say thank all of you for letting me join your site and all the great info so far. I have a chance to buy a 1995 Chevy 1 ton dually 4x4 6.5turbo for about 2 grand. I really always wanted a cummings but, the 95 has only around 85,000miles on it and it was used for farmer John to go to the produce stand and to church. Does anyone know if I should proceed with the deal or just buy an old ford tempo. Hahahahahah

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Judging from the your 'cummings' statement I must assume that you are pretty green when it comes to diesels.

That being said, any diesel engine comes with its share of issues that need to be resolved in order to achieve some form of reliability.

The cummins has a dowel pin that is known to wobble out and destroy the block. The 6.5 EFI has a PMD that is known to burn out until taken out of the engine bay.

If you have the cash and time to spend on a diesel - go for it. If not, I suggest buying the tempo....lol

95oneton

Reaction score
Thanks chrisk1500,
I have never owned a diesel but have worked on many that my best friend has tore up as rodeo kids in high school. I had saw that about the PMD and will do that as soon as I can, Im looking into picking the truck up saturday and probaly will move the PMD this next week. Any more suggestions please?
Thanks again Bro

chrisk1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the bottom of the oil fill cap for 'milkshake'.

Insist that you start the engine 'cold' to get an idea of the kind of shape the injectors and glowplugs are in.

Take a paperclip with you to check the ECM for stored SES codes.

Upon immediate startup squish the upper rad hose. It should NOT be difficult to squeeze.

Check the trans fluid and make sure it doesn't look/smell burnt.

Check the harmonic balancer for cracks/missing rubber chunks.

Test the LP by opening up the brass t-valve on the t-stat housing and watching for a steady stream of diesel while the truck is idling.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head....when I buy trucks with the 6.5 in them I typically take a checklist with me to keep me from forgetting major checks. It also gives you a place to reason with the owner about a fair price for both parties.

unclewilson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looking at a 6.5 dually also.. 4x4.. wondring if these are good for converting to used oil wvo and wmo... also pro and cons of the 6.5l turbo tks what ecm message should i look for and what is a pmd? any info or links would be appreciated tks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online