Looking for some parts sources for a couple of parts I need

Wheelhorsewilly

Reaction score
Well it seems I am back on the fast track, with your suggestions on the heater and I found the missing fitting along with a batch of missing hardware, we are just waiting on freeze plugs to stab it between the rails!

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
Whoa! Hold it there. STOP!

Are you replacing the freeze plugs in the side of the block? The nearly flat disc type?
If so PLEASE do not install them without reading up. Unless you have the exact correct plugs and tool they WILL fall out or at least leak. Many have fallen out taking the engine out with instant coolant loss. Many machine shops do not know how to install them correctly.

Wheelhorsewilly

Reaction score
I did find the fitting that belongs there. I found with a another group of hardware that got moved during a garage cleaning. I guess mostly did not know what I was actually looking for, but as soon as I saw it I knew what it was. Thanks all!

Wheelhorsewilly

Reaction score
Whoa! Hold it there. STOP!

Are you replacing the freeze plugs in the side of the block? The nearly flat disc type?
If so PLEASE do not install them without reading up. Unless you have the exact correct plugs and tool they WILL fall out or at least leak. Many have fallen out taking the engine out with instant coolant loss. Many machine shops do not know how to install them correctly.

Wheelhorsewilly

Reaction score
Yes I am replacing them, and only after finding out Ford and International don’t know what they are talking about, I have the correct ones coming. I am quite familiar with installing Welch plugs, other than these being a lot thicker and stainless, what is the secret?

BlackNoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tapped the port for the fuel heater because it was leaking.
Put in this pressure gauge with some red loctite. Works great and hasn't leaked or had any issues for a year and a half now.
This gives me lift pump pressure pre-filter. Always good to know if your lift pump is working and if your check valve is holding pressure when not running.
1/2" npt like others have said. Took me 20 minutes to do it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The safe bet is to NEVER remove the original freeze plugs. Every machine shop does it. They are stainless, they dont rot, and MANY times the aftermarkets can fail if not installed properly.
So beware.
I have a method to install them , two hammers. Never has failed me.
If your injectors are not getting rebuilt with new tips they wont be long life.

https://russrepair.com/

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your right, Russ. The shop I used to work in never removed the factory freeze plugs. We only used one machine shop and they knew exactly what they were doing on these engines. If they were still open full time, I'd drive the 165 miles one way to have them do my machine work. Unfortunately, from what I've heard, they are only open part time and only work on race car engines for their few biggest customers.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
The safe bet is to NEVER remove the original freeze plugs. Every machine shop does it. They are stainless, they dont rot, and MANY times the aftermarkets can fail if not installed properly.
So beware.
I have a method to install them , two hammers. Never has failed me.
If your injectors are not getting rebuilt with new tips they wont be long life.
https://russrepair.com/

You guys are scaring me now. Couple yr ago I had some dr side antifreeze seep, couldn't tell for sure where. Decided was rear dr side freeze plug maybe, didn't trust me so I had local shop replace it. Think I could have done good job as they did!!!
Later I figured out my slow seep coming up front where lower Rad hose/reconnect to block. Oh well....
BTW, now I running a 7# cap & seems to work ok.

Question: Do ford still have the stainless freeze plugs for these IDI's? Or anyone else?

sibleywoody

Reaction score
One part I know exactly what it is, just cannot find it, the other part I am not completely clear as to what I would be looking for. The first part is the fuel preheater that goes through the top of the filter housing. I have been told the frequently leak, and mine is. I have also been told they are easy to find but Ford and International cannot seem to find me a part number.

The second mystery part threads into the tower in the lifter gallery, right in the middle of the valley pan just behind the crankcase vent. Mine is a 1988 F-350 with a1989 engine.
You have a picture of the fuel preheater ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online