Looking for factory turbo setup for my 90 7.3. That and my plans...

89dieselbko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK guys, so i got a green light from my wife for some *light* engine work.

The 7.3 in the bronco has like 150k miles on it, no issues ATM besides 3 leaky injector caps (keep forgetting to get a money order and send to type4) and the exhaust manifolds leak. All 4 end bolts the manifolds are cracked for the mount, but hold tight-ish. they tick and you can hear the air. Anyways, i found a 91 E series van at my upull today, i yanked valve covers *mine are horrid and these ones are factory navistar with sticker and most of pain...* and 2 perfect exhaust manifolds. The heads looked amazing like fresh rebuild status, clean as can be. But unfortunately i dont have the tools to yank them in my yard box. I had the guy pull the van into his barn/garage area and 6/8 of the push rod things were massively warped. Took the fuel filter off and it smelled heavy of gasoline... 5 pistons are literally melted into the block, i should have taken pics. its nasty... ANYWAYS>

I got the valve covers and exhaust manifolds, also got all the AC brackets to install that hopefully next spring for 26 bucks. Now i dont know much of anything about turbos, or how they are set up, but i plan to do some reading. Here are my questions at current!

1. My neighbors civic needed a special exhaust manifold for the turbo, does my idi?
2. I would like to go with a factory turbo setup, used, rebuild the turbo, only looking for 6-8 psi of boost. just a little extra power and economy. Is there anyone out there that happens to have this set up? or perhaps everything but the turbo, i can always find a turbo and make it work :)
3. I was reading something about something that goes into the valve cover on turbo setups. does this mean my near perfect new valve covers are not going to carry over for me?

I have been calling all kinds of machine shops all day and i cant find anyone that will rebuild my heads. Just for piece of mind. Perhaps agnem can chime on anyone he knows about in PA. I dont plan to mess with my bottom end, it sounds good any my oil is pretty clean. Last 2 oil changes my magnetic drain plug has been nearly clean. Heck my 30k mile trailblazer has more metal nasty in its oil then this IDI of mine. Wife gave me the go ahead to do what ever i want... for under 2500 bucks.

and so we come to 4. for $2500 should i be able to get a used factory turbo setup, rebuild my heads and some other little things? I was thinking a set of injectors just because. i dont remember my compression readings when we picked the motor up, but i do remember they were within like 13% high to low. So im not expecting to have to hone or re-ring anything like that.

I was thinking of having the block and everything cleaned and checked for any cavatation, but i think that will put me over budget. esp if i get a bug in me and decide to rebuild the bottom end cuz its already apart....

The bronco has been doing GREAT for me. my mileage is lower now then the frist 1000 or so miles on the swap... my foot gets pretty heavy after 12-14 hour work days. but my lowest tank was still just under 16 MPG :) So yeah. Main thing, anyone have or know where i can get a factory turbo setup for cheap, in decent condition. I was reading of a JY in pheonix? or something like that that had and would sell for like $200 but for the life of me i cant find the thread that information was in. All work should start in late October when i get laid off for the winter months, so i would like to have all the parts by then. with exception of the parts for the heads, what ever shop i find that will rebuild them ill order them then, to be sure of compatibility and any other issues the shop might have. The only thing i KNOW i cant get in this budget (unless i find some amazing deals!) is my new IP. Id like a baby moose as it gets rave reviews, but that might end of being a next fall type of deal. My house needs siding bad and thats the reason for my pitiful budget for this!

Any input and suggestions are welcome! My main things right now is the factory style turbo. i saw a banks in the for sale sections, but im trying to keep cost down, and i really dont want/need much boost, just a touch :) Towing my 24' T trailer up hills is just torture. partly from my short wheel base, and mostly due to lack of power. Hopefully the turbo and top end rebuild would help that alot. Also i need an EGT if anyone has a decent one that wont take a huge hit on the bidget im all ears. Anyone have an opinion on jasper reman 7.3 long blocks? just got an email back and could get it, after core return for under $2000... then perhaps i wouldnt need the turbo!

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a factory style kit.It will be a rebuilt turbo and can be upgraded for more low end boost., and I have a torque cam.
email me
[email protected]

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Automotive and industrial machine shop in souderton pa does great work. Owners name is Greg. He is very familiar with the idi fords and even has the stainless freeze plugs in stock