Looking for a idi shop or person in S/E Mich

Hill Jack

Reaction score
Would like to find a place that can check timing, and maby a pretrip inspection. none of the shops I have talked to in the area seem to know much about IDIs. Monroe Mi / Toledo Ohio

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i've searched and haven't found any shops around here that time these engines b/c "nobody works on these trucks anymore". words of the diesel tech at my local dealership......

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a diesel mechanic that works on our semi's and owns an IDI tell me, "you don't need to time those trucks. Just line up the lines on the pump and housing and your good" cookoo:dunno:backoff:eek:

I explained the timing procedure and he got a glossy eyed look on his face. Oh well!!

Another shop in town told me "you don't need to time it, just fill the fuel filter with Lucas when you change it and all will be fine" cookoo

That's one of the reasons I bought a Ferret meter and advance timing light, very few know much about these trucks.

Hill Jack

Reaction score
I maybe in line for one of my own as well. I really do enjoy workin on the old girl. Learn as I go and read a lot of posts. I like working on the trk as well.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
yeah that same dealership i spoke of said they just time them by ear. yeah i'm gonna pay what ever their labor rate is for some guy to just "wing it"cookoo

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Timing by ear can be done but... Not knowing what to listen foris the hard part. You need to know what a good running timed engine sounds like. Even then you can be as much as 4 degrees off with the timing. Listening to the engine running is not anywheres close as using a Kent Moore J33300-A or a Snapon MT1480 meter. All you do with those meters is connect them. Rev to 2000 rpm and read the meter. The computer in the meters does all the work. The next best timing is the lite and ferrit but I feel this is close but not as good as posted earlier. When the lite shoots the timing tab you have to be angled correctly. Close but not close enough to cut a degree into 10th of a degree.. I feel my engine runs best at 9.4 dbtdc....

Hill Jack

Reaction score
So I go to order a ferret, cant get one, there having trouble getting all the accessories so checkin back in two weeks. Is there any other model, place or way to buy a timing device still in production? Starting to think these idis are a pain

Hill Jack

Reaction score
I live with pain. lol something like timing a motor though. I guess i will be just that much more happy when I do get it checked and or adjusted. Yes same place, tool discount when they called ferret to drop ship they found the issue.. lunch time I stopped a snap-on trk to check on possible mt1480 no luck. but for 330 dollars they have a ferret type divice. I guess i will wait 2 wks for the ferret. 198.00

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm down to lumy method now till I can get my BNC cable repaired. I'm over on the southwest corner of the mitten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online