Looking for 7.3L picture / repair manual

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Anyone know where i can find a complete diagram of the 7.3L motor? I'm attempting to assist a customer with an exhaust leak on his 2002. The leak seems to be coming from a vertical pipe 2" in diameter on the rear (again fire wall) right side facing exhaust bank on the V8. The connection between the 2 is covered in black soot and his computer on the truck has put it in limp mode with his mileage dropping from 23 MPG to just under 11. (empty and imperial volumes).

Please assist where possible. A PDf service manual would be great if available.

Cheers

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats an up-pipe gasket leak.

Here is a service manual. CLICK

PN# Turbo Exhaust Collector (up-pipe) Donut (at top of each manifold-to-turbo pipe)
(Ford) F4TZ-6K854-C

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and here is a few pictures

Attachments

• truck 330765.jpg
    truck 330765.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 11
  • truck 330766.jpg
    truck 330766.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 19
  • truck 330767.jpg
    truck 330767.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 6
  • truck 330767.jpg
    truck 330767.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 7
  • truck 330763.jpg
    truck 330763.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 11

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Rich,

the second pic in of your set there shows the exhaust manifold and plumbing back up to the turbo right? (I'm a Cummins guy so you'll need to forgive my ignorance).

Anyway, the bolted connection at the (or near the top) is the bit leaking. He has very little get up and go but has no gauges to measure boost or EGT so I'm only guessing. It is covered with thick black soot and "bleeds" under hard acceleration.

How easy of a fix is that?

Cheers

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup the second picture is showing the ends of the manifolds and the pipes from the manifolds into the turbo.where they bolt to the turbo they have donuts in there.

to replace the donuts is a pain in the ass.you can do it one of three ways.you can pull the turbo,pull the motor or drop the transmission.

Wyatt Earp

Diesel Geek
Reaction score
Client was told by a local Ford Dealership that his motor is dusted and is $15 large to replace. He called me back and told him they are lazy and full of horse sh*t - he should visit another dealer. Client has had truck for 3 months and the last service was done at a dealer where they plugged in the computer and told him the ABS sensors were bad and needed replacing. He did and that cost him $3,000. My point to him was if this has just started, then it is something much simpler than that as 1 month ago the other dealership would have been able to address this major issue then.

I don't have a Code reader for his truck and won't add new performance parts to something that has an issue. He needs to get this addressed as soon as possible because he pulls a large utility trailer and an excavator. The truck has no visible damage to the block, there is no evidence of any previous performance box, module or chip and it's got a Ford air filter and oil filter in plain sight so either the previous owner really pulled the wool over this guys eyes or it is just the exhaust piping problem and can be fixed easily - clearing the code (if present 'cause I don't know) can't be by me.

Comments?

Cheers

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the turbo inlet boot and look for signs of sand blasting on the compressor wheel/fins. The stock Ford air box was notorious for allowing dirt into the engine.