Looking at a "new" oilburner

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
A local guy needs to sell his rig. He is only asking a few hundred dollars since an injector leaks.

Its an 87 with 6.9 rebuilt C6 and 2WD. Its got 330,000 miles but its a 6.9!

Any thoughts? I figure for the money its worth it to have as a beater.

Excited to get back into an IDI!

I think I am going to go the MPG/waste oil direction with this rig. I think for the price its a win-win situation.

Thad

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,but you know how them couple hundred dollar beaters go dakotajeep.first it's this,then it's that.then before you know it,you could have just gotten into a truck like that '94 you sold for the same $.
i bet you miss that one.;)
not to mention,who can afford to run a non OD trans with today's fuel prices? i sure wouldn't want to try it.hard enough on the wallet getting around with lockup and fourth.;)
you know what they say for example when buying a refrigerator.it's not the initial cost that gets ya.it's the cost of operation that counts.
this makes the c6 trans a much,much more costly trans than a E40D today when you compare operation costs.

Last edited:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
My intent is to fix the little things, drive it for the summer to burn some used oil that I have and then sell it come fall or take it up to my dads to use around the farm...

I don't plan on working it hard, just driving it to work and back.

FORD F250,

Thanks for being realistic....but I still want/need/must have it.

That being said he mentioned that has a leaking injector. I think its just o-rings but I will see when I head out there on Wednesday. He mentioned front brakes too. I figure I could fix those few things and have a good runner for less than $600? I got a spare set of tires in the garage if its needs those too.

Thad

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My best friend once told me: "Anytime you get a rig for $1000 or less, you make good with it. Seems like the expensive ones bite you in the ****." For the most part he is right.;Really Good luck with the new IDI.;Sweet

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
My best friend once told me: "Anytime you get a rig for $1000 or less, you make good with it. Seems like the expensive ones bite you in the ****." For the most part he is right.;Really Good luck with the new IDI.;Sweet

No kidding, guess which one of my trucks is costing the most to own. :rolleyes:

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a $300 truck, tore the drive train out of it, then threw it in my crew cab. I have replaced almost every consumable part on the thing since I started. After new IP and injectors, I just have to rebuild the engine, trans, and differentials, and I will have rebuilt my whole truck front to back. Although these are the more expensive parts. I've spent about $1200 on it, and I don't have to worry about any of the little things taking a dump on it.............
Here's a good reality of buying an old, cheap truck.http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39018

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'd expect it to be a beater for a few hundred but you never know. A well maintained IDI may not be tired a 330K. If he is not hurting for money (or if he really is hurting for the couple hundred) he may just want it out of his sight and be frustrated with the leak. It could well be a broken hard line or a cross threaded inj. If that's the case someone here can probably help. I can't stand the C6 or any auto really but they are well built that's for sure and if you want to burn WMO or WVO fuel mileage doesn't matter so much. If you decide you like it and want to keep it you could always swap in a ZF5 or E4OD or keep the C6 and add a brownie or GV to get O/D. If you just want a cheap commuter and farm truck then I don't think you're going to lose your shirt on the deal at all. Good luck and be sure to post pics (if you can) and update us on what exactly is needed if you do buy it.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
If I could attain a GV (cheaply) I would do it...

Pics to follow in a few days.

Thad

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a 1990 now that is worth $12,000. SOB didn't start out that way, nickle, dime then $3000 then $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Good Luck.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Update:

Got the rig home....

Its a little rusty, the drivers side window doesn't work, the neutral safety switch is quirky, its leaking fuel heavily from the #8 injector, needs to have the glow plug system overhauled and it needs a couple of tires. Oh and its got 330,000 miles on it!

Its got a C6 with 4.10 gears....but the guy has a cousin who is going to swap a 3.55 rear end for no charge since he wants the 4.10's.

My real concern is the injector leak. The guy claimed that he replaced the oring twice and put in a new injector but its still leaking.

What would the most likely culprit be for an injector leak????

If you guys have any thoughts shoot them my way...

Thanks
Thad

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Are all the line clamps there? the lines will crack and leak like a pressure washer in a hurry without the clamps holding them in place;Really Ask me how I know.:rolleyes:

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
Are all the line clamps there? the lines will crack and leak like a pressure washer in a hurry without the clamps holding them in place;Really Ask me how I know.:rolleyes:

I suppose you are talking about the return lines? Its leaking from the metal line going into the injector...not the return lines.

Thad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online