looking at a 6.0

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so its an 03 f350 crew cab 2wd long bed only has 140xxx on it. whats the main issues to go wrong with this engine I mean does it have the egr cooler on it? and where is a good place to buy injectors for it?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Egr cooler gets plugged then blows and leaks coolant into the intake. Coolant can then get into the oil and kill every bearing and the injectors. It's best to just LOOK at a 6.0 unless you feel like putting money into it.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really i mean can you get the egr delete kit i mean i dont really feel like spending 12 k on a decent 7.3l and this one is considerably less

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Egr's failed frequently. There is no way of knowing if it has blown before and if it has the life span of all oil related parts and the head gaskets has been shortened.

That being said, yes you can do an egr delete and get good decent service outlet of one but if it has had coolant in the oil trouble is coming. Stock head gaskets have been proven to be weak even it the engine has had the cooler removed.

The engine mounted oil cooler is also subject to plunging up.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oil cooler clogs, then EGR cooler only gets a trickle of coolant and the coolant is flashed boiled and gets into intake. I just did an EGR delete on ours, I had about 16 hours into it, feel like I could cut that in half if I ever had to do it again.

Oil coolers can rupture and get oil into coolant and coolant I to oil, but it's not super common...although it happens.

Have a grand set aside when you buy it. Get an Edge CS or CTS insight for gauges, an EGR delete, and a coolant filter. Once you do those things, you pretty much can monitor the engine and see what it's doing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online