Long trip, minor breakage, now some ???'s

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had the first job for the oltruck today. I found a smokin deal on a golf cart in charleston about 2 1/2 hrs away and what better way for a pre rally shake down the a 5 hr drive to get some camp ground wheels. Averaged about 55 to 65 mph all the way down and realize that i must really fix the slop in the steering shaft before heading to PA. Its a workout just trying to cruise. Other then fighting the phantom zone in the wheel the truck made it with no issues. After realizing the trailer i brought was two short and some creative finagaling the cart was in the bed and i was headed home. 20 mins down the road the truck began squeeling along with smoke puffing out of the hood. Pulled over and the a/c compressor looked a little burned up and was puffing smoke. The clutch wasnt moving but it looked like the pulley was trying to make it. Turned off the a/c and all was well. On the ride home i was really watching the pyro and to hold 65mph on flat land it was running betwwen high 700's up to the 900's. Going up a big bridge i was almost at 1100. Is this normal temps for an NA? I know the cart weighs over 1200lbs but i would hate to see what the temps looked like with a travel trailer. So now i need to fix the ac and steering on top of i realized the low back buckets in the truck are horrible and before the rally i need new seats. Oh the projects.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually the steering is one of three differant things making it loose. The least expensive item is the adjustment on the box but... You really need to know the box is at fault first. Now have someone move the steering wheel with the engine off back and forth to see where the slop is. It might be in the coupleing between the shaft and the box. There is a plastic sleeve in there and a flat spring. My spring broke and I had plenty of slop. You remove some bolts.. Slide up the shaft and steel sleeve and there is the spring. While turning the wheel back and forth you can see if this is the location of the play or slop. Now the expensive items. If all the above is tight then its in the steering cross halfs or ends. That gets tuff to fix without the proper tools. So lets hope you box just needs to be adjusted some. Try around 1/2 turn and test drive.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
N/A IDI's are much more prone to higher EGT's than those with a turbo. Prior to adding the Banks to my F350 crew cab, it would bury the pyro 1200 with little effort, 1500lbs in the bed on modest hills. With the turbo, I've tryed to see what the pyro will max at and so for 800.

Watch that pyro when pulling a load.

Heath

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazed they didnt have a pyro from the factory with high egt being so easy to come by. I'll keep an on it to prevent melt down. Going to check the steering tonight but one other thing i noticed and forgot about yesterday was at idle i have wisps of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. Leaking injector maybe?

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh jeez. I should really get a pyro for what I'm towing then. Small travel trailer only 3200 lbs but about 1000 in firewood in box of truck going up 5 and 10% grades.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont feel to bad, I dont have my pyro in yet and haul pretty heavy often. That coupled with my 38in Michelins, I have to be careful not to burn her down.

When I had 265s, I had no problems pulling a 25ft flatbed with a crewcab on it at 80mph. I just slowed down and smoked on hills. With the 38s I can do 80 empty, but smoke to bad to get over 60 with a trailer. I guess I need to install one of my turbo kits.

robmoore11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont feel to bad, I dont have my pyro in yet and haul pretty heavy often. That coupled with my 38in Michelins, I have to be careful not to burn her down.

When I had 265s, I had no problems pulling a 25ft flatbed with a crewcab on it at 80mph. I just slowed down and smoked on hills. With the 38s I can do 80 empty, but smoke to bad to get over 60 with a trailer. I guess I need to install one of my turbo kits.

The last owner of my truck said that they frequently towed a 3 axle goose neck trailer with a excavator and a bobcat on it. Weigh in at about 9300 lbs, just the trailer. Not including the full cab of workers and equipment in the bed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online