long trip checklist??

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright so i have been offered the opportunity to possibly travel across country from nc to vegas with my 94 f350 idi factory turbo, zf5, 164,000 miles pulling a single truck on trailer not to much of a load for the dually. things i have already have done to the truck new raccor fuel filter and head along with new lift pump, 3inch downpipe ( to include opening up the outlet housing) and 5 inch exhuast. champion 4 core aluminum radiator, electric fans (at the moment run by toggle switch will be putting in the relay and doing it correctly soon) moose junior pump and misters and a modified air intake to allow her to breath. my biggest question for everyone is what would be a good checklist to go through to make the best attempt at not being stuck on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. i know tires and brakes and that matter but anything else to really look at and inspect before she hits the road?? any and all help is much appreciated and sorry for the long wind just trying to give as much info on the truck as possible.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Give it a full service including all fluids, filters, and grease all zerks.
Inspect brakes, drive lines, tires, steering components, condition/inflation of spare tire, etc.
If you have any leaks (come on, we all do LOL) fix them, because they won't fix themselves and tend to worsen. Obviously some just cannot be done easily, like an oil pan weep.
Being an old truck, things will be worn out if you haven't already replaced them. Anything can happen, even if you go through and service everything a Chilton/Hanes manual has in it. All you can do is your best at getting the truck prepared for the long trip. After that, it's out of your hands. Any spare parts, such as an extra belt as mentioned by 79jasper, that seems reasonable to carry, pack it in. Radiator hoses, hose clamps, water/coolant (prefer water because you can drink it if you happen to break down on a desolate desert highway), gallon jug of oil, etc. Best to be prepared for anything to happen. Even carry a blanket if you're driving through a severely cold climate. ;Sweet

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is your trip? If its May or later, it's gonna be hot here in Las Vegas. The heat radiates out of the pavement and kills old/questionable tires in a hurry. I'd advise that you double-check the tires on the truck AND trailer. Repack trailer wheel bearings and tune up trailer brakes. On the truck nothing that hasn't already been said.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is your trip? If its May or later, it's gonna be hot here in Las Vegas. The heat radiates out of the pavement and kills old/questionable tires in a hurry. I'd advise that you double-check the tires on the truck AND trailer. Repack trailer wheel bearings and tune up trailer brakes. On the truck nothing that hasn't already been said.

Yes, don't forget about the trailer too! Unless you're seeking advice on that on a separate trailer forum LOL
And that's very true about the Vegas heat. That place has so much concrete and asphalt it is like a solar oven! Tires must be in tip-top shape with no cracking or you're risking a blowout. Again, same goes for the spare tire.

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tires are in good shape i actually just put them on. will have at least 2 spares for truck and trailer and spare belts and fluids for sure. the trip isnt until november (SEMA) so i have a long time to get things checked and double check. i dont drive the truck everyday which is good because its less wear and tear. truckover all is in great shape and i really have no doubts in the truck i just want to make sure i dot the i and cross all the t's.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SEMA is a **** show, if you've never been. Forget the truck and trailer- bring yourself some real good walking shoes! I average 11 miles a day on foot during SEMA!

SDbernhardt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i definately werent planning on driving around SEMA the reason we are going is the fact that my wifes boss and a select few from the company are going and he wants to bring his truck to show so if everything pans out i will be hauling it out there. i havent been there but to get paid to haul it out there and check out the scenery im in.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
XM radio, Ive driven from Texas to CT twice, You get to areas where there is nothing...

Also stop to get Fuel sooner than later, They don't always sell diesel out there, stop at well lit, legit fuel stations. Ive had to stop at some shady ones in Mississippi... only time in my life ive been that nervous

Runningaford

Reaction score
I'm 20 to 30 days out from a 1,500 mile trip pulling a fifth wheel. My tires were shot, so got new ones; all fluids changed, and heck, over the last year replaced a lot, including water hoses, thermastat, oil cooler, exhaust manifold, glow plugs, return line kit, lift pump, and a bunch more.

I'm still on a mechanical lift pump, it's new, but I'm going to buy a spare to have on hand. The other thing I'm assembling is a 'go bag' of tools commonly used. So, I'll be separating these commonly used from the rest; so as to make things faster should it be necessary. The only other thing I'll be putting together is a good roadside reflector kit; perhaps three reflective triangles that I can put 150, 100, and 50 foot from the truck; if needed.

Edit to add: I also purchased a new fire extinguisher ;Sweet