Locking hubs

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the locking hubs on an old Ford how long can I keep them locked without damaging them? Want to go wheelin soon an would like to be able to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive without hoppin out of the truck.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
If everything is in good shape, in the front end and driveline you wont hurt a thing you can 4 wheel all day with out a problem.

88bigblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think everything is good. Thanks for the info. I will try it out. Really excited to see how she does in the hills.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
I leave mine locked in alot in the winter, here we have alot of mud and no bottom so unless you want to wade in mud and water ***hole deep its best to be in four or at least have your hubs locked in LOL!

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I leave mine locked in alot in the winter, here we have alot of mud and no bottom so unless you want to wade in mud and water ***hole deep its best to be in four or at least have your hubs locked in LOL!

I used to leave my hubs locked in thile plowing, and jsut shift in and out of 4x4 with the transfer case...then when I was done plowing, unlock the hubs to make sure the grease wouldn't freeze and make them stick in....you are all laughing now, but at -40 celsius (- 40 F), the grease will thicken to the point where the hubs stick sometimes.

4x7.3NE

Mowoodchopper
Reaction score
I used to leave my hubs locked in thile plowing, and jsut shift in and out of 4x4 with the transfer case...then when I was done plowing, unlock the hubs to make sure the grease wouldn't freeze and make them stick in....you are all laughing now, but at -40 celsius (- 40 F), the grease will thicken to the point where the hubs stick sometimes.

Im not laughing! I dont know the celsius scale but at 0 to 10 below and the wind blowing 40 mph it will do the same thing here, I had a s10 with autohubs and it was always getting stuck in or out on cold days!

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not laughing! I dont know the celsius scale but at 0 to 10 below and the wind blowing 40 mph it will do the same thing here, I had a s10 with autohubs and it was always getting stuck in or out on cold days!

Random factoid, -40 celcius and -40 Fareinheit are exactly the same temp. The scales happen to cross there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
We used to keep the hubs lock in all winter. It will not hurt anything, even being on dry pavement. Your are turning the front driveline from the front tires. You, however, do not want to keep the transfer case in 4x4 all the time. This can cause damage due to the front driveline being driven, not "coasting" because of the front wheels turning. To be "locked" in 4x4 (hubs and transfer case) the front driveline needs to be able to slip, on dry pavement this does not happen very well. I had this happen just a couple weeks ago, we had been on a long trip and I stopped for a few minutes, we let my 2yr old out of his seat so he could strech and he climbed into the my (drivers) seat and turned the 4x4 knob on the dash to 4wd. I did not notice it and when I went to pull away I had to turn the wheels hard and just as I touched the throttle I could feel some resistance and heard a very loud POP. I saw it was in 4x4 and turned it off. Luckily we didn't break anything, but if the lot had been wet or slick the front end would have just slipped the tire instead of binding and popping.....

sootman73

Reaction score
I leave mine locked in when i use my truck for work on rainy days and all winter. its safer in case you need 4wd all of a sudden on slick roads or it starts snowing and your on the toll road where you cant just stop and lock them in...

Zrock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i leave mine locked in all winter. Also when i i pull them apart in teh summer to clean them up i never use grease to put them back togeater i always soak them in gear oil. Nevr had a problem doing this. Was told this by a tech.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine I usually Locked, rare occasions are they unlocked. Some people say this makes them wear out faster, but I hate having to get out and lock them in after you are stuck.

sootman73

Reaction score
the more you leave them locked in the worse mileage you'll get, your tires can wear funny, and bearings and ujoints in the front end will also get more wear and tear on them. its a choice. i choose not to replace those parts much if ever. of course i run 65-75 on free way a lot and it vibrates at speeds like that which is not good for previously listed parts...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember locking the hubs equals more rolling resistance, and extra component wear. If your in 2WD it won't hurt a thing, but your wallet.