Local mechanic 6.9

Jcsjr

Reaction score
Recently moved to Portland, OR area. Looking for a good mechanic that knows the 6.9 IDI engine.

Has a coolant leak, my guess is head gasket on rear passenger side since coolant is showing up on transmission bell housing, but only a guess from self diagnosis and research.

Any shop/direction would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Jeff

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Russ is in McMinnville which isn't to far of a drive depending on which side of Portland you are in.

idiTravelAll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm right around the corner from ya in Applegate
Not to thread jack, I called some machine shops and diesel shop wanted 116 per head to hot tank, magnaflux, and deck check. Found another shop to do both for 100 cheapest I've found so far...

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to thread jack, I called some machine shops and diesel shop wanted 116 per head to hot tank, magnaflux, and deck check. Found another shop to do both for 100 cheapest I've found so far...

Wow, that's steep. It's $20 - 30 here depending on where you go.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Oregon fuel injection once, they do know idis to an extent but they said timing was best at 5' and the that's where they put mine for 150$ said my truck performed better and blew less smoke(with 90cc pump and stage1's, I installed) I asked for 6-7 but they Saud they knew what they were doing so I said okay. Now it's been about 6 months later and I just changed my timing advancing it just a hair(hoping for 7 degrees) performance is much better now. Smokes yes but that much fuel is gonna anyway. also had harder time starting after I went there and they wanted me to run that retarded(timing). Now all seems to be better 150$ could hve bought me more parts though.. my timing by ear ended up at 7.5' before I went there that's where they found it to be upon arrival. Not saying their other work is bad but timing should be somewhere around 7-9 degrees somewhere imo. Typ4 lives near to you by Portland, though I'm not sure if he does much vehicle work I think he's more parts and parts rebuilding.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to Oregon fuel injection once, they do know idis to an extent but they said timing was best at 5' and the that's where they put mine for 150$ said my truck performed better and blew less smoke(with 90cc pump and stage1's, I installed) I asked for 6-7 but they Saud they knew what they were doing so I said okay. Now it's been about 6 months later and I just changed my timing advancing it just a hair(hoping for 7 degrees) performance is much better now. Smokes yes but that much fuel is gonna anyway. also had harder time starting after I went there and they wanted me to run that retarded(timing). Now all seems to be better 150$ could hve bought me more parts though.. my timing by ear ended up at 7.5' before I went there that's where they found it to be upon arrival. Not saying their other work is bad but timing should be somewhere around 7-9 degrees somewhere imo. Typ4 lives near to you by Portland, though I'm not sure if he does much vehicle work I think he's more parts and parts rebuilding.

I've only been to the one that was in Medford before they packed up and moved to their bigger shop in Eugene (?). They were very familiar with these IDI's. They timed my truck at 9* I think, it's been awhile. Whatever it was I remember was dead on what was recommended on here, and it was the sweet spot. Only cost me $90.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was your truck a turbo truck or n/a? They may have two options cause some like their timing more retarded with a turbo possibly. Not saying it's all bad there but I'd ask them what they want to time it to if when you go they didn't tell me till after they were done and had my truck back it was on their invoice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance