Limited slip or Locker

FordGuy100

Reaction score
OK, I'm tired of dealing with my one wheel peel, its time to put something in there so I can get them both going. The other day we had around a foot of snow on the ground, and my dad got his work van stuck, no problem I'll pull him out. I suppose his work van actually weighs more than my truck, because its loaded down with tons of parts (he's an electrician). My truck only weighs around 6500 pounds so that probably didnt help. But I had it in 4 high, first gear, and tried getting him out, and I just sat there and spun realalistically two wheels (one in the front, and one if the back, because both are open diffs. You could tell which ones were spinning, because they dug down into the gravel). I tried it a couple of times, tried it in 4low as well, but it just didnt cut it. So I went and got my dads truck and pulled it out with ease, but it has a limited slip diff, and weighs probably 2500 pounds more than mine, though it has street tires on it.

So its time for a change. Next summer I'll be camping in the High Sierras, and where we camp we have to take a 20 mile long 4x4 trail. I would really like to have at least a limited slip to go up there, to make things easier. My axle code is 73, so I have a 6300 pound rated Dana 70 3.54 open diff....diff. So what are my options. I would really like to have an electric locker, possibly a air locker, but those things are spendy. Limited slips on the other hand are also very spendy. I know guys that'll help me with the swap of carriers, thats not a problem. So can anyone recomend a unit to me? Whats the spline count on my axle?

I'm tired of having a one wheel peel, my right rear tire has way less tread than the left rear because of the fricking one wheel peel action. It needs to be dealt with.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i personally run an arb air locker and its a great unit but you have to have on board air to lock it. if you drive around on ice and stuff i would not put a locker in the rear thats not selectable.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Theres not much ice here, every once in a while we will have some. But I like being able to unlock and lock feature of a locker compared to a limitied slip. But like I said lockers are super expensive, while limited slips are a little cheaper. How much was your ARB locker? I wouldnt mind having an air locker, it would give me an excuse to get an electric air compressor and tank to run other things like air horns, maybe those ranch shocks that you can adjust.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i remember right the locker for the rear was 750 to 800. not sure cause i didthe front and rear with lockers. also i have a 10.25 u dont know if they would be the same for a dana 70. plus the compressor and lines and sutff like that but i already had onboard air

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would suggest and easy locker that replaces the spider gears in the stock open diff. It is the least expensive unit (for a locker) that you will find. It can be installed while the truck is sitting in your driveway.

have a looksee here http://stores.ebay.com/Rocky-Road-O...rs-etc_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ7QQftidZ2QQtZkm
As you can see they are not that expensive.

Wow, only $480 + shpping, thats not to bad. I've heard that you have to drive different once you put a locker in it, what driving habits am I going to have to change if I get this? How hard is the install? Anybody running one of them in our trucks?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it all depends on driving style and where you drive, if you have to do a lot of slow hard turns and you have bigger tires then stock, then you will break the lock-right, the lock right has springs in it that hold against the center pin and also hold it away from itself and it moves around a lot on the center pin. when you go around tight corners it locks up and will drag the tire just like a locker. it also puts a lot of stress on other parts as well(axles,carrier,ect.) i have seen in person the carnage of lockrights and i have installed a few which everybody i know that has one doesnt like them, also i have a 2000 jeep wrangler with detroit trutracs frt and rear.off road they are awesome, on the road they are great as well but the only problem i have is with the frt one giving me roadwalk, but my jeep does not have lock in,lock out hubs so there is the problem. i also have a 92 f350 with the factory 10.25 and limited slip, great all around in the mud and snow but like any other limited slip it has clutches and they have to slip to warm up to grab, so you do need throttle to make them lock up,
as JPR said "if you get on the go padel too hard when the roads are slick both wheels spin and if turning, it becomes an easy way to get a good look at the traffic behind you" that is true for any traction device locker or limited slip, the reason your trk would go sideways is the tire with the most traction will pull which if its the pass side it will go sideways to the right, if its the drs side it will go sideways to the left, so with a locker a little throttle will engage as with a limited slip a little more throttle will engage. you will have to drive a little different, so, for instance lets say your driving up a hill with snow on it. you have a limited slip, and your almost to the top and you start spinning, if you feather the throttle up and down a little it will make the limited slip kick in just enough to engage both tires to get you to the top and the rear shouldnt slide around, but with a locker, as soon as the one tire slips the locker kicks in and you have both tires grabbing, which in turn, can make you slide around, even if you feather the gas it wont make a differance. in my opinion i like the detroit trutrac, its a gear type limited slip and it work great, but if your going with price the lock-right is cheaper but if it breaks, parts go everywhere and ring and pinions and carriers are not cheap so you get what you pay for, hope this helps

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well, we'll see what I end up with. I would really like a electric locker, so I can turn it off when driving around town, and wouldnt need a aircompressor/tank.

Can anyone tell me how many splines my axle should have. I see lockers for a Dana 70 with 32 splines, or 35 splines. It should be full floating right?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I suspect myself that you would have 35 spline Dana 70 and yes it should be a full floater.

This would be idea.... http://www.auburngear.com/oemdifferentials/ected/ but I do not think it's available for D70 yet....not certain though...

For cost effectiveness....the powertrax is the best option. Unless your hammering that sucker hard and I mean hard and with big 37"+ tires Low Range you'll likely not break it. Seen em worked hard and never bat an eye...they kept working hardcore.

As for driving differently, its not huge differences but there are some like not putting power down in a corner for one.

Your truck being LWB compared to a Jeep or Blazer of Bronco will behave much milder than the SWB trucks. They tend to get twitchy in corners with lockers.

As for the Front diff....Ltd slip or selectable locker would be my thoughts...I wouldn't suggest using a powertrax or detroit in the front unless your going absolutely hard core.

JM2CW

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not planning on doing anything to the front diff, because I have the Dana 44HD, which is the lightest front axle you could have in one of these trucks. Basically I think its to weak to be worth modding, just to have it break or something going through a mud hole or deep snow or something like that. I would add one if I had at least a Dana 50 TTB, or Dana 60 (I'm in a never ending search for a cheap one). What little off-roading I have done with this truck, it does alright in 4 wheel drive, I just want the peice of mind of a locker or limited slip.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call Atlas truck parts in hubbard and tell them you need a posi for your truck, they should have a used one reasonable. Now they can be a bit if a **** so if you want I will check for you, they like me for some reason.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Detriot TrueTrac gear driven limited slip will never need a new clutch pack or special lube in the diff. I have one and I works great. It also has a higher bias ratio than most clutch/cone style limited slips. Plus, they are reasonably priced.

Heath

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have a lock right which is the generation before the power locker on the ebay site and yes it took a little bit to get use to but I haven't broken it yet and lauch probrably once or twice a day from stop lights and stuff. The only complain I have is when I'm pulling into a parking space and she want's to buck but I have learned how to limit that to where it only happens once in a great while.

As for driving on ice I don't have a problem but I have typically always driven limit slip diffs so it was no change there. If you gouge the go pedal when your on ice yes it's going to slide (limited or locked) just go easy on the go pedal and you won't have problem. I hear about this they will kill you if you use them on icy roads - BS... I drive with street treaded tires on ice and snow quite a bit and if you don't get stupid you won't have a problem and I actually like having the locker back there now days. But then again I'm werid...

But as I said the only time I complain about mine is when I'm pulling into a parking spot sort of quick you know the last minute I'll park here type of thing... where you are changing your speed pretty drastically in a sharp turn. Then it will buck and complain.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
I don't have any problems with lockers. Just gotta be careful on ice and snow, but i like having two wheels pulling. Once i get a 60 up front im gonna get a locker in that too. So i can actually go somewhere when i locker er in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online