Lifting truck for work

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the accepted (safest) method for getting the rear of my truck off the ground high enough to work on things?

I'll be taking some leave once we get to South Carolina in March, at which time I intend to drop both tanks to replace pickups and inspect for algae, etc. I'd rather do the work in my driveway than on the rack at the hobby shop (they charge money for each day the truck sits in their lot).

I've not worked with jackstands before... not sure if they make 'em for duallies. Certainly want something stable, rather than a 7000 pound truck all up in my grille.

Mike

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Judging from your pics, you should be able to do a lot of work without jacking at all. Maybe just the rear. If you want to work on the tanks though, I think you may find it easier to pull the bed. If you can find 3 other people to help lift. Then again, you may not have anything rusted to the frame underneath... :D
James

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you just need to get the truck up higher, get 4 of the plastic honeycomb ramps and drive it up. They are plenty strong to hold up your truck.

Twin_diesels

Twin Diesels
Reaction score
well, at home, we often use some good solid lumber. 8x8s work well, but you can only go up so far. Sounds like you should be able to jack it up and put blocks under the tires, or back up on a good HEAVY DUTY SET of Ramps for this project. This would help ya keep space open under the truck or working, as well as give ya a more stable platform to work with.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Whatever ya do, don't use them 2 ton car floor jacks ya get for $20.00.

Trust me been thru 2 of em trying to get the trucks jacked up one side of the axle to a time.
They fold up faster that you can move. :eek: :idiot:
Get a good 3 1/2 ton to do the lifting. ;Sweet

For dropping the tanks if'n ya got em close to empty, there shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get em off.

If ya been keeping additive in, there shouldn't be much of a need to inspect for things growing in the tanks I would think.
The front tank pickup can be removed without dropping the tank to inspect the pickup for rotting.
back tank, yep drop it. :puke:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dsl_Dog_Catcher said:
Whatever ya do, don't use them 2 ton car floor jacks ya get for $20.00.

Trust me been thru 2 of em trying to get the trucks jacked up one side of the axle to a time.
They fold up faster that you can move. :eek: :idiot:
Get a good 3 1/2 ton to do the lifting. ;Sweet

For dropping the tanks if'n ya got em close to empty, there shouldn't be too much of a hassle to get em off.

If ya been keeping additive in, there shouldn't be much of a need to inspect for things growing in the tanks I would think.
The front tank pickup can be removed without dropping the tank to inspect the pickup for rotting.
back tank, yep drop it. :puke:

Thanks, guys, for your advice. I really would like to do this project without becoming dead in the process. :)

pafixitman

Reaction score
Mike,
I agree w/ Ron's advice. I bought a nice bottle jack to lift my truck with. It rides w/ me all of the time since I ditched the one under the hood. I suggest you do support the truck while you are under it, so get a nice set of jack stands. Use a piece of plywood or equiv. under them if you have an asphalt drive way! (Ask me how I know... ;Really cookoo -cuss )

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Mike,
I agree w/ Ron's advice. I bought a nice bottle jack to lift my truck with. It rides w/ me all of the time since I ditched the one under the hood. I suggest you do support the truck while you are under it, so get a nice set of jack stands. Use a piece of plywood or equiv. under them if you have an asphalt drive way! (Ask me how I know... ;Really cookoo -cuss )

Thank you... I'll check around when we get to SC for a good set of jacks... prolly cost a few dollars, but money well spent.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I use my 3 1/2 ton jack or the factory jack to get it high enough for the jack stands, that way you can get around with much more space. It don't look dificult to remove the rear tank, just two straps holding it and the front tank looks even easier.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd recommed a good set of heavy jack stands! Don't work under the truck without jack stands supporting the truck. Place them under the axles tubes on both sides or directly on the frame rails. Don't want anything to happen to you Mike. A heavy 4-6 ton floor jack is nice, but they are $$$. A 3-4 ton bottle jack will do the job.

Best of luck Mike.

Heath

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the mis-fortune to have a factory bed on my truck and need to service the tank-senders, etc., I would make me some access doors in the sheet-metal of my bed in strategically located places right over the tank access ports, make me some cute little cover plates that looked like Ford meant for them to be there.

Some time one might get caught in a situation out on the road and be mighty proud of his neat little access doors that allowed him to fix a problem in minutes in his Sunday britches, instead of working for hours.

O' course, there is a big steel flat on mine with about a foot of clearance above the tanks and many times I have appreciated that fact.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger