lift pump going bad?

Mackdog

Reaction score
So I have been having this problem with my 1992 F 250 idi for some time now. It starts rough when its cold or when it hasn't been run for a while (glow plugs are bad) but after its been warmed up and even on hot days, if I let it sit for more than 10 minutes or so, it takes a while to start. Now I know that there is no way a glow plug issue would be causing this problem because the outside tempreture is about 90 degrees and the engine has just begun to cool off from operating tempreture. That's why I'm thinking its a lift pump issue. There is no fuel leaking from the return lines or filter and the ip seems to be fine because when its running it has plenty of power and no smoke. has anyone else had this issue?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck was doing this also. The fuel heater on the filter head was leaking air into the system. If I let it sit, it would even leak down about half the fuel in the filter also. I replaced the fuel filter with a wix one piece filter/water seperator.

Mackdog

Reaction score
How did you get the heater to stop leaking though? I would think that replacing the filter/seperator would just stop the bottom from leaking.I already took the filter head off and put jb weld over where the heater plug goes in.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IMO, sounds like the IP is "heat soaking."

I'm not going to suggest pouring cool water over the pump to test it, but people have done it in the past.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
ok I went back and reread and noticed the (bad glow plugs), you need to fix these first so we can find out if the hard cold starts are from bad glow plugs or air. When I read the first time I heard it starts hard cold or hot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Staff online

Members online