Leveling

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lowering the rear will add a tad of positive caster, which isn't a bad thing. The thing you need to check when using a shackle to lower the rear is pinion angle change. You want to be sure your driveshaft has acceptable angles when you are done. If you change the ride height to higher than stock in the front, you will be gouged by an alignment shop to correct it. If you just want it level, and not necessarily taller, dropping the rear would prolly be easier/cheaper.
Travis..

I think you were the only one that understood what i meant.:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never understood the whole leveling thing.....

Man and wife walk into a shoe store.

"Can I help you sir?"

"Yea, my wife came with these 6 inch heels, and I'd like to get a leveling kit for her".

cookoo

Level trucks are not ****, and they look like dorks when you make them work.

Just my opionion of course. LOL

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
a super cheap alternative to an add a leaf is to rob the overload (bottom) leaf spring from a set of F-150 4wd rear leafs. added 2" to my friends F-250 with a 351 so it should net about 1 1/2" with an IDI over the front. thats what i am going to use for mine when i level it.

u will need new center pins, u bolts and possibly longer shocks along with a camber bushing kit. the allignment shop will take care of the camber bushing kit.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
x2

I'm so happy bout that on my truck, when it comes time to level it out all i gotta do is adjust the link from the pitman arm to the tie rod to make my steering wheel straight :p

1994IDI

Reaction score
a super cheap alternative to an add a leaf is to rob the overload (bottom) leaf spring from a set of F-150 4wd rear leafs. added 2" to my friends F-250 with a 351 so it should net about 1 1/2" with an IDI over the front. thats what i am going to use for mine when i level it.

u will need new center pins, u bolts and possibly longer shocks along with a camber bushing kit. the allignment shop will take care of the camber bushing kit.

Does it have to be our generation of f150? Can anyone second that info?

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score

The only thing I am gonna argue here is the shocks. When I threw a D60 under the front of my truck, I used the F250 front shocks without a problem. I got about 3 inches of height using the F350 springs.

If all you are going to get is 1 1/2 to 2"...I would keep the stock shocks unless they are worn out. ;Sweet

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a 1.5" AAL under the front of my truck for the same reason as you want, 1994IDI. I think the whole sagging in the front deal doesn't look so hot.
I can't remember where I got mine from, but they were about $150 shipped to my door. I installed them and drove the truck for about 50 miles before I realized I needed a front end alignment. I took the truck to Les Schwab's where they charged me about $150.
An added benefit is that the truck actually rides noticeably better than it did before I installed the AALs.

Before:

You must be registered for see images

After:

You must be registered for see images

Total investment: $300. Level truck: Priceless.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score

if they are 3" wide they should work. the leafs my friend use were from a 92-96 F-150 4wd and the ones im going to use are from an 80-86 F-150 4wd. if i can remember (which is a stretch lately) ill snap a pic of my leafs and of his truck with the overload leaf on.

He said the truck doesnt ride any stiffer and actually feels more stable than with just the Skyjacker 6" leaf springs (his truck is HUGE, 6" suspension lift with a 3" body lift and 2" in the front from the overload leaf rollin on 40" Swampers). thats like 9" in the rear, 11" in the front and another 4" from the tires for an overall 13" in the rear and 15" in the front.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said the truck doesnt ride any stiffer and actually feels more stable than with just the Skyjacker 6" leaf springs (his truck is HUGE, 6" suspension lift with a 3" body lift and 2" in the front from the overload leaf rollin on 40" Swampers). thats like 9" in the rear, 11" in the front and another 4" from the tires for an overall 13" in the rear and 15" in the front.

A step ladder to get in and a parachute to get out.:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and tip the guy or hell just bump the heads

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There is no way you will get a alignment for 90. The caster/camber slugs are 30 a piece plus the labor to do it. The shop you talked to is proably used to just being able to turn some bolts to correct alignment . Our trucks dont do that

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online