Lets talk tires. Big ones.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously though goodyear wrangler MTR with Kevlar the new ones are apparently quite good. They are on a friends Suburban and he does both hiway and off road and likes them quite a bit, he's got 42's

What I was gonna say.

I like Pit Bull..

Pit Bull now has radial offerings in "medium sized tires" e.g. up to 41". ANd reasonably priced.

Having said that, the Good Years are probably gonna be it for me.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely want to run a radial. Not a bias ply tire. This is going to be a mostly onroad tire.

Really want a 40 or 42. I looked at some military 46" michelins but i don't think i can clear them.

The goodyear wrangler MTR in a 40x13.5x17 is a LRC, along with the Yoko MT.

Also, both the Goodyear and Yoko MT are all on back order. Don't have a release date on the goodyear yet but in a email i got back from my tire distrubutor the yoko will be available in 12 weeks.

Meh.

Michelin XZL in a 14.5R20. 42" tall, 20" rim. Done. there are 4 here you can have never been mounted for $1000 plus shipping.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who really tows with a truck w 40s?

40s are designed as a off road tire, which needs to flex, load range d and e dont flex

Friend of mine in Utah built his tow rig, with Rockwells, 46" Michelins... all said and done, economy was similar to stock.

Never had an issue with "weak" regarding strength of Drivetrain.

99 Chev Vortec 454 CCSB

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Friend of mine in Utah built his tow rig, with Rockwells, 46" Michelins... all said and done, economy was similar to stock.

99 Chev Vortec 454 CCSB

The only thing i am afraid of with the Military michy is the weight. I'm not running rockwells, stock 60 and sterling rear.

I think i am gonna run the 42" goodyears.

Reaction score
How do your guys tires do on the freeway? I got bout 100+mi round trip today, little nervous about my swampers. You guys have any stories bout the swampers on freeway?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
How do your guys tires do on the freeway? I got bout 100+mi round trip today, little nervous about my swampers. You guys have any stories bout the swampers on freeway?

I ran my old swamper thornbirds about 35k on mostly highway, no issues.
My NEW swampers thornbirds only went about 8k and were almost bald

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

99 Chev Vortec 454 CCSB

But you have to admit, that is NOT your typical tow rig

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score

Never ran swampers on the highway before, but every swamper i've ever been on has been on mud trucks and they are all bias ply. my 37 good year wranglers are horrid on the highway, they shake the truck apart. My 35" imported mud terrains ride like a all terrain on the highway. smooth quiet ride. they also have about 20K on them and have over half the tread left. Problem is i can't find this same tire bigger than a 315.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
my 37 good year wranglers are horrid on the highway, they shake the truck apart.

See now I had complete opposite results w my 37" goodyears. That was the ONLY saving grace of those tires. Good road manners. That and they were quiet. But off the pavement they ABSOLUTLY SUCKED

Reaction score
Never ran swampers on the highway before, but every swamper i've ever been on has been on mud trucks and they are all bias ply. my 37 good year wranglers are horrid on the highway, they shake the truck apart. My 35" imported mud terrains ride like a all terrain on the highway. smooth quiet ride. they also have about 20K on them and have over half the tread left. Problem is i can't find this same tire bigger than a 315.

Hmmm mine are bias, yikes. Well ill let ya know how they do

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like my xmls just need to get them balanced. At 65 it rolls down the highway smoother than nu goodyears did.

When I have them aired up to 70psi they ride a bit rough around town but nicely one the highway
smoother. I usually leave them at 35-40 psi though. They don't pack with bid, track straight and last forever.

But I will say that they are a lot of rubber for a 16 inch rim lol.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 38.5x12.50x16.5 swamper tsl sx's on my 91 idi. they do great on and offroad ,even in the 20" snow storm this winter i had no trouble going places where i shouldn't have been. i have hauled my 30 ft gooseneck with 10k out of state with no issues. i would recomend these tires to anyone . and they're load range "E" tires . you really get the best of both worlds with these tires.

monkeyboi

Reaction score
What you need to look at is max load. You will see a lot of variance between the lettered load indicators. Pro-comp xat's are a great tire. We had a set on a 02 chevy 2500 and still had a good bit of tread after about 40,000 when we sold the truck. 37's on 17's max load is 3525 but only rated D. I considered the wrangler MT's but everyone on pirate seemed to hate them, the price was good, but never did it.

aaron

Last edited: