Let's Talk Starting Systems!?

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Brothers,

With winter around the corner, I thought a thread regarding starting systems might be useful. I have two issues I'd like to throw out there:

1) I no longer have the "clicky clicky" I had before. I notice the system cycling because after she starts I see a cycling on the volt meter. But it's not the sameand I havn't tried to start her on a real cold A.M. yet.

2) I've never used the block heater. My truck will become my daily ride this winter. I don't have the time to let her warm up. I thinking of hooking up the heater to a timer. Is this worth the effort, or should I just leave her plugged in overnight? How long sould I have the timer come on if I use a timer (yes I know it depends on how cold it is but just trying to know what you guys are doing)?

John

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Here you wont need to plug it more than 2-3hs. Do use the timer it will be cheaper. If you don't hear it click it could be the ground or power connection on the GP controller.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Well, for me the loopy 1/2 running start, and a bunch of white smoke, looks like I need to do the glow plugs before it gets much colder. The nice thing about Victoria, there might be a week, possibly two, where the temps are below freezing, other then that it's just a damp chill you to the bones wet winter.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short initial cycle times would indicate that the glow plug resistance has increased, either due to faulty glow plugs, or a poor electrical connection. I bought a remote starter for the Bronco, so I'm planning on just letting it warm up. I haven't thought of what to do for the high idle yet, but I'm working on it.

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a HD appliance timer, about $15.00 from Home Cheapo, and usually set it for about 3 hours before the time I will be starting the truck. This has worked for me about 3 years now. You will also have heat alot quicker also!

You need to check your gloplugs if it is short-cycling...

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I also use a heavy duty timer along with a heavy duty extension cord. I set the timer for 4:00 am and by 7:00 she is ready to start. Usually my coolant temp reads just above 100* when I go to start it.
John H

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online