Lets talk lifters

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
So, a few weeks ago I bid on a set of lifters for the IDI before I tore it down. I was about 99% I was going to need a set. Now, after pulling the engine apart, it NEEDS lifters. I would say there may be 5 of them that are reusable. With that said, I missed the end of the auction and was outbid by a dollar or so for the wapping tune of $88 bux.

The description shows the lifters fit many different applications. Mainly the small block chevy. I have found several sets of them for about $50bux. Do they really fit? Does anyone have a set out that they can check against to see if that is true?

SWS

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that the lifters are identical for the 6.9l, 7.3l (IDI; I think the PSD lifters are different), 6.2l, 6.5l, and the infamous 5.7l 350 diesel. I actually got a set of lifters from a place selling military surplus 6.2l lifters; they seem to be working well so far. The place I bought them from was a place called Hafers Inc, in Salt Lake City. A Google search came up with nothing useful, though...I think the company still exists but moved on to selling other things.

Wish I could help more...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa Online gives different part s between the gas 350 v8 from 1994 and your the 6.9 motor. They look SO close but I don't know if truly they are identical or not. Another thing I had herd was that the Olds diesel and 6.2 lifters would work in our trucks and this seems to be the case based on the Napa part #s.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have a new set of lifters that are bushing bearing and not needle bearing roller lifters for our motors. PM me if you want more info and price... I feel its just as posted above. These lifters were common in several differant motors.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I am going to try to find a set of roller bearing type since I am already in it this deep. I should have pix of the lifters that came out of it before tomorrow. There was at least one with a NICE flat spot. The majority of them had all kinds of wear.

When the guy came to get the engine to take it to the shop, I told him I was informed it had less than 100K. Aside from the big deer print on the front of the donor truck, there was no reason not to think so. The dash was not even cracked on it. The guy shows up at my house and says "Well...if it only had 100k, it was a HARD 100k". I thought it was pretty funny.

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I hope you replace the cam... If one roller was flat then that cam lobe is damaged. Time for one of typ4 cam...:sly

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Yeah...there are actually a few pictures on my "rebuild or no" thread of the cam. I put them there so I could have Russ look at it. I wanted to know if it was good enough to use for a core...he said no.

SWS

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin