Let’s talk fan clutch

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, for heavy towing out to west Texas last summer I installed a fan clutch and fan on the shop truck. I drained all the fluid out of the clutch so it never locked up, just it spinning normal speed was more than enough to keep the ac and engine cool even with the big intercooler out front.
I don’t have any issues at all until it’s WOT up the 6+% grades out here for 12miles.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You could say the little 12 valve is underpowered backed by the 6 speed allison. Pretty heavy.
Ole boy ran er into the power line. Lol
Sometimes even flat ground it would overheat.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, for heavy towing out to west Texas last summer I installed a fan clutch and fan on the shop truck. I drained all the fluid out of the clutch so it never locked up, just it spinning normal speed was more than enough to keep the ac and engine cool even with the big intercooler out front.

And then you have my experience, even going 70mph down the interstate, if I had the pedal more than half-way it would start getting hot. That is what surprised me with mine, even all that air going down the highway would not cool it, I bet the stock fan is a restriction if it's not turning engine speed. Now that I locked it permanently, no more overheating in any situation.