Lesson learned, and have a question.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Sorry to read you had so much trouble getting it sealed. Maybe its not just me. ;Poke :)
On one rebuild I did, it was leaking a lot from the front of the engine. I thought it was the front seal.
It was not. The gap between the pan and the front cover was huge!. I just cleaned it up good with brake cleaner and squeezed bunch of RTV Black in the gap. I let it sit overnight and no more leak. It's still good.
In hind sight I probably should have posted this sooner. Oh well, you needed the practice anyway right? :rolleyes:

dirtbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AS I always say...

BETTER than SURGICALLY CLEAN! Thus even remote whiff of oil on pan or rail...leak guaranteed!

Sounds like its just not working out for ya...sorry to hear. UPSIDE down engine much easier to seal up...OIL drips in not out...and that's where I bet the difference is.

Bolt holes and pan rail must be so clean it's ridiculous!

Good luck hope it stays sealed!

Yeah, it just wasn't working and I really don't have the time (or desire) to pull the whole motor just so I can seal the oil pan with RTV. The gasket seems to be fine for now, hopefully it stays that way. Thanks man.

Sorry to read you had so much trouble getting it sealed. Maybe its not just me. ;Poke :)
On one rebuild I did, it was leaking a lot from the front of the engine. I thought it was the front seal.
It was not. The gap between the pan and the front cover was huge!. I just cleaned it up good with brake cleaner and squeezed bunch of RTV Black in the gap. I let it sit overnight and no more leak. It's still good.
In hind sight I probably should have posted this sooner. Oh well, you needed the practice anyway right? :rolleyes:

Thanks man, it's alright though because it seems to be okay for now. I was thinking of doing what you did after the second time, but decided I'd pull it again. Practice makes perfect, or so they say. What you have to remember is that your engine and my engine are IN trucks, whereas when they're sealed from the factory they are in the factory... No oil or anything to mess up the sealant. I think it's just tough to do while the motor is in the truck, though it is nice being able to drop my pan without lifting the engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online