Leaky AAM axle seals

BigSix

Reaction score
Just had one replaced on the drivers side. Friend with a 2500 Hemi also had the driver's side seal replaced before 30k miles.
I replaced both seals in my '98 Dana 80 four years ago. I hoped that the AAM would be better but apperantly not. Friend's previous F-350 also had leaky seals in his Dana axle. Not the end of the world to change but there are better things to do on a weekend. Our new Dodges were replaced under warranty but we were both out of a truck for a day. Dealer did a good job and cleaned up the brakes so all is well.
Anyone else having axle seal leaks?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Friend's previous F-350 also had leaky seals in his Dana axle.
I have just been through that. When it first leaked I thought it was due to rarely using 4WD. Put some Lucas HD Oil Stabilizer in the front diff which worked for a week. Then it leaked again. Had the seals replaced but after one month the other side leaked. Found out that they used after market seals. So they ordered a re-designed Ford seal. They broke one seal while trying to install it. Ordered a second set from Ford. Installed the second Ford set correctly. I'm going on 48 hours now and so far so good. I sure love warrenties...:D

Last edited:

Whit

Reaction score
All my seals on the 01 are fine so far at 65k, I did learn years ago on a ferd that the oem seals were much beefier that aftermarket seals, after 3 changes I went to the dealer and got an oem seal, this fixed er. So when it comes to seals I will stick with oem.

Cheers, Kevin

BigSix

Reaction score
Dodge also came out with a revised part number for Dana axle seals. Can't help but wonder if Ford and Dodge are using Dana seals and packaging them with their corporate logo and part numbers. Kinda like the Fleetguard filters with Mopar paintjobs.

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigSix
Dodge also came out with a revised part number for Dana axle seals. Can't help but wonder if Ford and Dodge are using Dana seals and packaging them with their corporate logo and part numbers. Kinda like the Fleetguard filters with Mopar paintjobs.
The re-designed Ford seals look nothing like the aftermarket ones. They spin on a bearing ring and have three ribs which are designed to hopefully prevent oil from seeping out. They are a more delicate design and need to be installed more carefully or they will break/crack. Naturally they cost 50% more than aftermarket seals. :***:?